Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
Questions concerning HA 18
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

12/15/2018 at 10:19:41 PM GMT
Questions concerning HA 18
Holiday Greetings from a newbie Catboat owner. For the last 2 years I have been refurbishing a 1976 HA 18. She's almost complete but needs new mast hoops, parrel balls and cockpit cushions. She has been put away far from me in Maine. Could someone please give me those dimensions so that I can work these items out this winter. Thanks!! Larry Bost and "Catitude"

12/19/2018 at 3:41:59 PM GMT
Couple thoughts, from M-18. Check with Geoff Marshall for PVC hoops and beads. CBA bulletin 169 for make your own Dyeema soft shackle hoops - non marring, or consider lacing. May want to check the Catboat Lounge on Facebook (if you use it), several H-18 owners are quite active on it. Pert Lowell, oak hoops is usually at annual meeting, if your attending.

12/21/2018 at 12:25:29 AM GMT
Thanks, for your reply. I don't use face book but will look into CBS bulletin. Thanks Again.

12/21/2018 at 7:07:09 PM GMT
If you haven't already seen the Salvation Navy YouTube channel it's worth a look: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSYc21cjkfKE4vGmHc7SUmw

The guy who created and uploaded the videos is a cinematographer who restored an HA18. This is the specific video on mast hoops:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKkGt7ENRag

Marc Perry
Mount Hope Bay
Fall River, MA

1/11/2019 at 1:47:04 AM GMT
Congratulations on a fine boat! The HA18 will serve you well. C-Dog, is resting comfortably some mile away from me for the winter. She is a '73 HA18. Since you have a 5in. mast, your mast hoops would be 6-6.5 inch on inside diameter. The parrel balls are 1-1.5 inch. I don't have cushions, so I can't help you there. I've had my boat for about 10 years now and have learned alot from her. Anymore info, I'll be glad to help as best I can.

2/7/2019 at 1:49:08 PM GMT
Hi,
I've been restoring my HA 18 for 3 years. I built a tabernacle which, although wonderful for raising the mast, is larger in diameter and has swivel bolt heads that interfered with the existing mast hoops. As a temporary solution, I made parrels using rigging wire and cheap wooden balls from a craft store. They attach to the sail with small climbers snap fasteners. They have worked so well that I haven't bothered replacing them. Easy inexpensive and strong. If you're interested, I'll send you a sketch.

Latest News
Calendar

9/8/2019 » 10/27/2019
Hog Island Beetle Cat Series, West Falmouth, MA - September-October 2018 Sundays

9/15/2019 » 9/21/2019
CCBA Mid-Western Shore River Long Cruise - Eastern Shore, MD