Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
General Discussion
Moderator(s):
|<
<
1 | 2 | 3 |
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Jammed centerboard 1 W. Goodwin Removing the the cover over the trunk will not net you access as the trunk is closed. You can try using a steel rod like a piece of rebar and trying to tap the back edge of the board through the hole were the cable runs. Your problem might be your centerboard or cable connection getting hung up in the top of the trunk.
by C. Huberman
Saturday, December 31, 2016
Drop sail off at Thurstons 0 G. Damerel I'm going to have Thurstons Sails in Bristol RI add a set of reef points to my HA 18 sail. I am planning to attend the Assoc. Mtg in Mystic on the weekend of Jan 27th. Is there anyone who lives in Bristol and plans to attend the mtg that could drop the sail off at Thurstons? That would be greatly appreciated and would prevent me from having to ship the bulky sail. George
by G. Damerel
Saturday, December 24, 2016
Can you recomment Paint Brand and color for 1976 Marshall 18' Sanderling 1 B. O'Brien Bought a 1969 Sanderling several years ago and have refinished most of interior and exterior, using Interlux Brightside. Believe tan is its standard buff (don't have can handy). Good cleaning and sanding, at least one coat of prekote, and two top coats, final thinned 10 percent, high quality bristle brush. Got very good finish. Cleaned and left teak centerstrip natual, and has been fine for 3 years - it sees a lot of water and scuffing.Save perfect for sailing weather.
by P. Knowlton
Friday, October 14, 2016
Menger Cat 17: boat stands or trailer storage 0 N. Michelsen I just bought a Menger 17 cat (2,200 lbs) without a trailer and need something for winter storage and summer ramp launching. Photo shows it on previous owner's blocks. (1) What kind of trailer do I need? Standard trailers are normally designed for power boats. Any reasonably priced trailers made for cats? Can power boat trailers be modified to accommodate a cat? Can trailers for Marshall 18s (or other com parables) be used? (2) If I stowed it on boat stands haw many would I need? Some have said 3 (one for the bow and 2 for each side); others said 5-can't be that many??? Any thoughts or suggestions to help resolve this issue for me? Thanks, Neil
by N. Michelsen
Sunday, October 9, 2016
Marshall Sanderling Tiller loose 3 K. Carneal I had to replace the forward strap a couple weeks ago.  This is what it looks like, with the screw.  
by S. Hartman
Tuesday, September 27, 2016
Comparing a Menger 23 and a Marshall 22 0 R. Campbell I plan to buy a catboat in the next 12 months. The Menger 23 and Marshal 22 are almost the same size. Does anyone have thoughts on the merits of these boats?
by R. Campbell
Friday, September 16, 2016
taking sail doqwn 1 M. Kelleher Bringing the boat head to wind is always a good idea when you are raising and lowering a sail attached to the mast. Do your hoops slide freely over the mast? Could you spray them with silicon? Are your halyards running freely? When you drop your sail do you lower the peak and throat at the same time?
by R. Campbell
Friday, September 16, 2016
Replace Morse steering cables on HA 1973 0 P. Vogel I have a HA 1973 and need to replace the 2 Morse steering cables #E300622 84in 1408P. I have called Sea Star Solutions, Edson, Teleflex etc and had no luck in finding a replacement dual helm and cables. Apparently the rudder size and the short length of the cables (5' cable sleeve plus 2' cable ram) is a problem. Ebay has Morse cables but they are too long. Any help would be appreciated.    
by P. Vogel
Thursday, August 18, 2016
video's about sailing a catboat 0 R. Roy i would like to look at video's for us to learn more about sailing our Sandpiper, found some on internet, but not much, thank you Raymond
by R. Roy
Thursday, July 21, 2016
Menger 19 versus Marshall 18? 0 R. Schless Does anyone have experience with both the Sanderling and the Menger 19?  I'm in the market and would love some guidance.  If you prefer to limit your comments to offline, I'm bschless@rasco.com and would appreciate your thoughts.   Many thanks
by R. Schless
Monday, May 9, 2016
looking to rent a catboat in the fla keys 0 E. Dankievitch The wife and I are making a trip down to the Marathon key the last week of Feb first week of march and was wondering if anyone knew if I could rent a Cat for a day or two. The trip is a bit much for my boat to make...
by E. Dankievitch
Thursday, February 11, 2016
Button Swan Catboat 0 S. Wolfe I recently purchased a 12' 4" "Button Swan Newport Fish and Lobster Catboat". The only other boat of this design in existence that I am currently aware of is at the Mystic Seaport Museum in their indoor exhibit. If anyone has one of these boats or has any information about them, I would be very interested. The age and builder of my boat is unknown although the design is from the late 1800's. The designer, Button Swan (real name William Henry Munroe), was a well known boat builder and fisherman of that period with a shop on Long Wharf, in Newport, RI. Neither the boat at Mystic Seaport Museum nor mine has spars. The museum sells plans for the boat including spars. These plans were drawn up by the late Robert Baker of Westport, MA when he restored the Mystic Seaport Museum's Button Swan. He based the design of the spars on photographs from earlier times. Any advice on dating my boat based on hardware, fasteners, etc would also be appreciated.
by S. Wolfe
Sunday, December 13, 2015
Useppa Catboat Rendezvous in 2016 ?? 0 W. Dolan Has anyone heard if there will be a Catboat Rendezvous at Useppa Island, FL. in 2016 ?? None of the email addresses I have for those folks seem work.  Bill Dolan CBA
by W. Dolan
Sunday, November 8, 2015
1970 Ted Hermann 17' Catboat Hull # location? 1 W. McAninch It may not have a HIN number, as these weren't required of manufacturers until the mid 1970's. My 1969 Marshall didn't have one originally, and a previous owner had to obtain one from the Environmental Police (if in Massachusetts). I had a similar issue with a small powerboat, and the Environmental Police were very helpful an cooperative. You will likely need to engrave the assigned HIN on the transom with a small electronic engraver, and provide a rubbing of it with the registration, title and transfer.Good luck.
by P. Knowlton
Friday, October 30, 2015
General Discussion via the new CBA Website 1 N. Titcomb I've found a good home for my 1970 Ted Hermann 17' Catboat "Catnip". But we're having trouble finding the hull # on the boat. Does any one know where this number is on the Ted Hermann 17' catboats? Thanks. Bill
by W. McAninch
Thursday, October 29, 2015
Sail on Marshall 22 and/or Menger 23 0 A. Casanova I'm a new Catboat Association member, and have been sailing a little 14' Com-Pac catboat on a lake for 8 years.   I'm considering possibly buying a large fiberglass catboat (maybe a Marshall 22 or a Menger 23) and am hoping that someone on the forum would let me go out on a sail with them.  I've been on both of them dockside, but never out on the water in either of them. I'm a moderately experienced sailor, having sailed on LI Sound, Raritan Bay on sloops of various sizes and having been an active crewmember on large sloop charters in the Caribbean, Abacos and Tahiti so would be more than just a passenger.  The largest cat I've ever sailed on is a 20' Com-Pac Horizon Cat, a derivative of the Herreshoff America. Oh and I live in northern NJ and would be willing to travel a reasonable driving distance to go out. Thanks in advance, Andre
by A. Casanova
Thursday, September 17, 2015
sandpipers on lake champlain 0 N. Ernsting just bought a marshall sandpiper hull 81 built in '77 and looking for anyone in area of charlotte vt on lake champlain who would like to rendezvous for some competitive sailing.
by N. Ernsting
Thursday, July 2, 2015
Marshall Sanderling versus Marshall 22 versus Menger 19 1 R. Schless In a M-18 (1969) for second year, after a Sabre 28 (30 years. Great day sailer, single hander. Good day sailing with four (they bring the wine). Couple of weekends alone - it is tent camping. Portapotti with little privacy , camp stove, portable cooler etc. Outboard easy to store and maintain, boat huals easily on single axle trailer.For working galley, semi-private head, reasonable bunks (mini-motor home campimg) look at M-22. May need commercial hualing,or permit due to width. Inboard engine and systems cost and maintenance . Don't know Menger19, but more like pop-up camping trailer.All should be fun sailers.Good luck, happy saling - camping????
by P. Knowlton
Friday, June 19, 2015
Herreshoff Eagle 4 Sale in SC, anybody looking? 0 D. McQuilken Listing here -  http://charleston.craigslist.org/boa/5058592758.html I have no additional information.  
by D. McQuilken
Thursday, June 4, 2015
Marshall 22 coling water 0 J. Sibley    Have a 1971 Marshall 22 with a fresh Palmer engine & original exhaust plumbing configuration.  Have been having problem with cooling water backing up in the exhaust line which runs aft to the muffler and causing number 4 cylinder to flood.  Engine has been pressure tested and confirmed good.  Can it be that we are idling the engine too slowly and causing a water back-up?  Any thoughts appreciated.  Jim
by J. Sibley
Tuesday, May 26, 2015
Latest News
Calendar

9/8/2019 » 10/27/2019
Hog Island Beetle Cat Series, West Falmouth, MA - September-October 2018 Sundays

9/15/2019 » 9/21/2019
CCBA Mid-Western Shore River Long Cruise - Eastern Shore, MD