Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
General Discussion
Moderator(s):
|<
<
1 | 2 |
| 4 | 5
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Putting weight in centerboard? 3 T. Morse Why are you concerned with righting moment when going to weather? Did you experience a knock down? What are you wanting to achieve? Do you want to be safer, or are you wanting to carry more sail during a race? Do you reef or carry too much sail for the conditions? Do you scandalize? Do you raise the centerboard so not to keel so much. Have you tried adding internal ballast? How much? Where? Do you loosened the sheet and spill air when the boat keels too much? A catboat keeling on its edge may seem fast, but in reality is probably slipping to leeward. Record the results with good instrumentation of any changes. There are lots of adjustments on a catboat that will affect speed and windward direction. Are your halyard marked so you can set the best sail for certain conditions? Centerboard pennant marked too?I would advise adding internal ballast before adding it to the centerboard.
by R. Luckraft
Saturday, August 19, 2017
Sanderling Cocktail table? 2 R. Schless I've copied a roll up table from Crate and Barrel that is working "okay". But I'd prefer something that folded up from the CB well. May we2ll be a winter project!
by R. Schless
Tuesday, August 15, 2017
controlling excessive boom movement 3 R. Clarke Thanks D. Scobie and P. Knowlton for your replies.
by R. Clarke
Saturday, July 15, 2017
Pascagoula Diamond Bottom Cat 1950s? 0 K. Lewis We are looking for any information on diamond bottom catboats built and raced in Pascagoula in the 1950s. Mr Olson (sp?) was one builder who worked at Mike Fletcher's shipyard. We know of several that were built ROSE, REBEL, DRIFTWOOD, MOONLIGHT, TROUBLE and BLACK CAT. By description the bottom was planked athawrtships and the sheer lengthwise, with only 6 inches or so of sheer. Built from cypress. Centerboard with a barn door rudder.   Thanks Kent and Audrey Small Boat Restoration
by K. Lewis
Thursday, July 13, 2017
Outboard for HA 18 Motor Well 4 D. Griswold Has anyone tried a 6hp suzuki in the HA18 motor well?
by G. Somers
Thursday, July 13, 2017
outboard advice for menger 15 1 M. Deery I had a 5 hp on mine but I battled a heck of a current in the Ipswich River.
by R. Schless
Sunday, July 9, 2017
Subaru Outback 3.6 okay for towing a Sanderling? 4 R. Schless Ended up buying a 4 cyl 2017 outback. Have done first towing to,Gloucester and back (60 mles each way) plus dropping trailer in and pull out. Car seems okay but a little tender at hogher speeds. Tires slipped a tiny bit pulling boat out but all of n all seems okay. Interesting that us specs say 2700 lb limit for trailer and load and european specs say 4,000 lbs for,the same vehicle.
by R. Schless
Sunday, July 9, 2017
Compass Classic 0 P. North I have a Compass Classic that I have put up for sale.  I've been trying to find the hull numbers on it.  Anyone have a good idea where they might be hiding?  I've checked the normal stern places.  Peter
by P. North
Monday, July 3, 2017
Sanderling mast/gaff height 1 B. Way Scaled off an old 1/4 inch per foot drawing. Mast 24 feet, doesn't allow for Windex, burgee or radio antenna . Gaff, 30 feet plus or minus - the peak angle may change slightly between sail makers, and whether the sail is cut for racing or cruising.
by P. Knowlton
Monday, July 3, 2017
Menger Cat 15 Outboard.. Long or Short Shaft 1 M. Deery Because the boat is so light in any chop the long shaft is better. Otherwise it will cavitate lots.
by R. Schless
Wednesday, May 31, 2017
Unstepping Sanderling Mast -no tabernacle 7 M. Lutkus Sorry for the last message, I tried to cut an paste a photo of the mast removal operation.The cost was $130, but worth it when one considers the dangers of trying to do this by hand. I am now in the process of stripping the old paint off, applying a self-etching primer, two-part primer and top coat. She should be a very pretty boat by the time I get her back in the water.
by M. Lutkus
Monday, May 8, 2017
Trailer for my HA18 4 M. Perry https://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/6106227497.htmlI just sold my America but the new owner could not use the trailer.If you are still looking, see the link above
by C. Huberman
Sunday, April 30, 2017
Been quiet here ... 2 D. Scobie info on SageCat is here -http://www.sagemarine.us/sagecat.htmlrecent videos from Arizona sail in Feb. here -https://www.youtube.com/user/sagemarinevideo
by D. Scobie
Tuesday, March 7, 2017
Menger Cat 15 Info 0 M. Deery I am looking at purchasing a Menger Cat 15, looking for a nice daysailer.  I am looking for someone with experience with the boat for some perspective.  It has very low freeboard, even for a daysailing catboat.  Read an article that said it was a very wet sail., mentioned tendency to dip rail and, accordingly, lots of bailing and pumping.  Not looking for that.  Looking for some pleasant daysails on local bay and Shinnecock Bay on Long Island.  Am an experienced sailor with several sailboats, including two catboats (penguin and a compac sun cat), but not experienced with this type of low slung classic beauty.  Any advice would be helpful. 
by M. Deery
Monday, February 27, 2017
Replacing centerboard pennant Herreshoff America 2 G. Damerel 5/32" running stainless steel cable, 7 feet long, one end unfinished, the other end should have an aircraft style fork fitting. Dwyer Metal mast will make you one. Make sure your C/B whas the appropriate attachment point for the cable.
by C. Huberman
Monday, February 27, 2017
Wanted, Marshal Sandpiper. 2 M. Ritter Still looking.
by M. Ritter
Wednesday, February 22, 2017
Wilkinson catboat versus Marshall 22 3 R. Schless Bill.....I owned one for 10 years. Have a lot of info on them, sailed mine on the Chesapeake Bay. Dan Wilkinson made 15 of them. There are at least two in CT...Barry Sullivan bought mine and lives in East Haddam. He has done a lot of work on her and yes, the rudder needs to be 1/3 larger. I believe he has the plans for that as he had one built. I increased sail area to 344 which just aggrevated the too small rudder. I never considered her to be tender..but all that freeboard came at a price. The cabin top was never strong enough to comfortable stand on...that was the only structural issue I had with her. My email is flesner00@comcast.net. At one time I had tracked down 13 of the 15. Also met Dan back in the mid 90's. My wife loved her...guess why...standing head room!
by S. Flesner
Friday, February 3, 2017
pig placement 2 M. Susienka You might also a have a leaky centerboard trunk. What year is your HA18? The earlier boats's cockpit drained into the centerboard trunk. Basically they jammed a brass ferrule connecting the cockpit to the top of the trunk. The problem is this joint over time leaks. Unfortunately the top of the trunk is very close to the water line. In extreme cases, if the boat takes on enough water causing the boat to sit lower, this point goes under water and if left unattended, the boat sinks. This is actually what happened to my present 1973 before I bought her. Newer boats drilled the hole slightly to starboard and ran the drain out the side of the boat. A 1975 HA I previously owned had this drain.
by C. Huberman
Monday, January 9, 2017
Ride to annual meeting 0 F. Newton I will be attending the annual meeting from Harrington De. I am going up Friday morning for the seaport tour and returning Sunday. If you would like to carpool contact Frank Newton at 908-581-8774
by F. Newton
Sunday, January 8, 2017
Arey's Pond Kitten or Barnstable Cat 3 M. Deery I have owned a Beetle and a Barnstable Cat. The Barnstable is a wonderful boat, well made and sails identically to the Beetle. You would not be disappointed.
by C. Huberman
Saturday, December 31, 2016
Latest News
Calendar

9/8/2019 » 10/27/2019
Hog Island Beetle Cat Series, West Falmouth, MA - September-October 2018 Sundays

9/15/2019 » 9/21/2019
CCBA Mid-Western Shore River Long Cruise - Eastern Shore, MD