Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
General Discussion
Moderator(s):
|<
<
1 | 2 |
| 4 | 5
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Beetle Boat Swan 2 J. Creighton What year is it? Does it have a centerboard or a dagger board? I did a functional restoration on one a few years back. We had no documentation on it but because it was a dagger board boat we knew it was a later one possibly '52 or so. I sold it to a gentleman who had previously restored one of the very first BB Swans, then donated that one to Mystic Seaport. He wanted mine so he could sail .it. He later wrote a number of articles about his adventures and the history of the Swans.
by C. Huberman
Monday, November 13, 2017
Chart plotter GPS Advice 7 M. Perry I have been working on getting aquainted with my GPSMAP 78sc. Very pleased. One of the best features is the Garmin HomePort app. I connect with my 78 through my laptop, can see all maps, develop routes on the large screen of my computer and download to the handheld. I am assuming that most systems are the same. This is very effective and the color screen is easy to use. Have not yet used on boat, but am planning to in a week.
by D. Look
Monday, November 6, 2017
Canvas Canopy M 18 0 D. Look I am looking into having a canvas canopy fabricated. I am thinking of using the toping lift to raise and secure on aft cleats and handrail. Has anyone had one made?
by D. Look
Saturday, October 28, 2017
Second Reef Problems 4 R. Schless The sailmaker probably put the second reef point at the back of the sail in the correct location.Underway in light air ease the mainsheet and lift the boom with the topping lift. This will bring the boom up to meet the second reefing cringle at the back of the sail. Or do this at the mooring.Now look at the reefing block on the boom. It should be 6 inches or a little more behind the second reefing cringle on the sail. If it is then you have to ease the sheet and lift the boom with the topping lift. You will also have to pull harder on the reefing line to pull the belly out of the sail.If not, then you have to move the reefing block on the boom until it is behind the second reefing cringle.As for tying the the drooping fold of sail when reefed, use the bunt lines (shoelaces) to gather it up and keep it out of your line of sight. But don't make the bunt lines so tight that they are holding the belly of the sail down on the boom. If you do, you will strain and damage your sail.One last thought on sail trim when reefed. You must be able to flatten the sail when going upwind. But you want to be able to ease the rear reefing line to add draft (belly) to the sail when you reach.
by R. Campbell
Monday, October 16, 2017
Newbie here 3 J. Clearwater Thanks guys. We will give that book a look.Best regards,J&J
by J. Clearwater
Tuesday, October 3, 2017
Sanderling Cup/Drink Holders 6 S. Hartman I guess I haven't been on for a while. I never noticed this reply. Yeah, I'll post a PDF.
by S. Hartman
Monday, September 11, 2017
Autohelm 1000 on Sanderling? 2 R. Schless I bet you'll want a large battery. As you likely know, the main draw on the tiller pilot is how much it has to work on the tiller - and catboats have notorious unbalanced weather helm. Now, you can ease the main out and reef early to reduce weather helm, and that'll save battery life. But I'm still betting on considerable juice consumption.This is one of those things where "Your Mileage May Vary *Exceptionally*" ;-)
by S. Hartman
Monday, September 11, 2017
Putting weight in centerboard? 3 T. Morse Why are you concerned with righting moment when going to weather? Did you experience a knock down? What are you wanting to achieve? Do you want to be safer, or are you wanting to carry more sail during a race? Do you reef or carry too much sail for the conditions? Do you scandalize? Do you raise the centerboard so not to keel so much. Have you tried adding internal ballast? How much? Where? Do you loosened the sheet and spill air when the boat keels too much? A catboat keeling on its edge may seem fast, but in reality is probably slipping to leeward. Record the results with good instrumentation of any changes. There are lots of adjustments on a catboat that will affect speed and windward direction. Are your halyard marked so you can set the best sail for certain conditions? Centerboard pennant marked too?I would advise adding internal ballast before adding it to the centerboard.
by R. Luckraft
Saturday, August 19, 2017
Sanderling Cocktail table? 2 R. Schless I've copied a roll up table from Crate and Barrel that is working "okay". But I'd prefer something that folded up from the CB well. May we2ll be a winter project!
by R. Schless
Tuesday, August 15, 2017
controlling excessive boom movement 3 R. Clarke Thanks D. Scobie and P. Knowlton for your replies.
by R. Clarke
Saturday, July 15, 2017
Pascagoula Diamond Bottom Cat 1950s? 0 K. Lewis We are looking for any information on diamond bottom catboats built and raced in Pascagoula in the 1950s. Mr Olson (sp?) was one builder who worked at Mike Fletcher's shipyard. We know of several that were built ROSE, REBEL, DRIFTWOOD, MOONLIGHT, TROUBLE and BLACK CAT. By description the bottom was planked athawrtships and the sheer lengthwise, with only 6 inches or so of sheer. Built from cypress. Centerboard with a barn door rudder.   Thanks Kent and Audrey Small Boat Restoration
by K. Lewis
Thursday, July 13, 2017
Outboard for HA 18 Motor Well 4 D. Griswold Has anyone tried a 6hp suzuki in the HA18 motor well?
by G. Somers
Thursday, July 13, 2017
outboard advice for menger 15 1 M. Deery I had a 5 hp on mine but I battled a heck of a current in the Ipswich River.
by R. Schless
Sunday, July 9, 2017
Subaru Outback 3.6 okay for towing a Sanderling? 4 R. Schless Ended up buying a 4 cyl 2017 outback. Have done first towing to,Gloucester and back (60 mles each way) plus dropping trailer in and pull out. Car seems okay but a little tender at hogher speeds. Tires slipped a tiny bit pulling boat out but all of n all seems okay. Interesting that us specs say 2700 lb limit for trailer and load and european specs say 4,000 lbs for,the same vehicle.
by R. Schless
Sunday, July 9, 2017
Compass Classic 0 P. North I have a Compass Classic that I have put up for sale.  I've been trying to find the hull numbers on it.  Anyone have a good idea where they might be hiding?  I've checked the normal stern places.  Peter
by P. North
Monday, July 3, 2017
Sanderling mast/gaff height 1 B. Way Scaled off an old 1/4 inch per foot drawing. Mast 24 feet, doesn't allow for Windex, burgee or radio antenna . Gaff, 30 feet plus or minus - the peak angle may change slightly between sail makers, and whether the sail is cut for racing or cruising.
by P. Knowlton
Monday, July 3, 2017
Menger Cat 15 Outboard.. Long or Short Shaft 1 M. Deery Because the boat is so light in any chop the long shaft is better. Otherwise it will cavitate lots.
by R. Schless
Wednesday, May 31, 2017
Unstepping Sanderling Mast -no tabernacle 7 M. Lutkus Sorry for the last message, I tried to cut an paste a photo of the mast removal operation.The cost was $130, but worth it when one considers the dangers of trying to do this by hand. I am now in the process of stripping the old paint off, applying a self-etching primer, two-part primer and top coat. She should be a very pretty boat by the time I get her back in the water.
by M. Lutkus
Monday, May 8, 2017
Trailer for my HA18 4 M. Perry https://longisland.craigslist.org/boa/6106227497.htmlI just sold my America but the new owner could not use the trailer.If you are still looking, see the link above
by C. Huberman
Sunday, April 30, 2017
Been quiet here ... 2 D. Scobie info on SageCat is here -http://www.sagemarine.us/sagecat.htmlrecent videos from Arizona sail in Feb. here -https://www.youtube.com/user/sagemarinevideo
by D. Scobie
Tuesday, March 7, 2017
Latest News
Calendar

5/6/2020 » 5/8/2020
The Beaufort Yacht and Sailing Club Classic Boat Rally