Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
General Discussion
Moderator(s):
| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Herreshoff America, suggestions for electronics 3 P. Dwyer With decent gps/Chartplotter don't really see need for depth finder or knotmeter. I do have an old lead line if needed when anchoring. I use my burgee for wind indication, but a windex would be a little more accurate, along with telltales at the batten pockets.
by P. Knowlton
Thursday, September 17, 2020
Will be mooring at Mattapoisett B.Y. next season. Anyone else mooring there 2 P. Dwyer Wow,Thanks. I haven't committed yet, so I've got a bit to think about.I did moor a sloop at MBY for a couple of years back in the 80s. I guess I was fortunate that I never had any bad experiences at that time.
by P. Dwyer
Thursday, September 17, 2020
Ballast in Herreshoff American appears to be stuck 0 P. Dwyer I am a new owner of a Herreshoff America catboat. The previous owner told me that the ballast below the floorboards in the cabin might need to be re-aligned because the boat lists a bit to the right. I tried to move the blocks to re-align them but they are either 1) stuck to the fiberglass or 2) I'm not strong enough to move them.Has anyone experienced this situation?
by P. Dwyer
Monday, September 14, 2020
Mooring Issues 7 B. Capland I am a newbie to catboats with a Marshall 18. I would like to sail off my mooring single handed. What is the best way to raise the sail in a breeze and have the boat sit into the wind. I am looking for a little grace and less drama. With well over 100 years of catboat sailing I assume this is well understood, but after reading nearly everything in print I have not mastered this,.
by D. Holbrook
Tuesday, September 8, 2020
Menger 17 Motor Well? 2 D. Jones If you go to the Menger Catboat site, Archive section, there is a 17 brochure that shows a motor well option.
by P. Knowlton
Friday, September 4, 2020
Main sheet block 1 P. Carney A block attached to the cleat will require it to be held all the time, but trimming might be easier. The hexaratchet block with swivel cam cleat is great, mines behind centerboard, and new ones are EXPENSIVE. Maybe look at mounting a swivel fairlead cam cleat on the coaming, much less expensive, and after rebuilding cockpit you have the ability to do it. Harkin seems more pricey than Rostran and some of others. Most of 18s gear seems rated for 1000 lbs working load.
by P. Knowlton
Thursday, September 3, 2020
Origo one burner alcohol stove 0 D. Davis Anyone have one and want to sell? Looking for one in good condition to replace butane rocket engine in our galley. 
by D. Davis
Wednesday, September 2, 2020
Dinghy Recommendations for Marshall 22 6 J. Brown Walker Bay 8' or 10' rigid sailing dinghy all day long. They both have a wheel for rolling on hard surfaces although on sand it may be best to put on folding wheels. Both have factory sailing kits available and row easily. I use a Minn Kota trolling motor to get to and from the catboat with a light lithium 12v battery which runs forever. If you need even more stability or to add to the max weight capacity you can purchase the inflatable kit which surrounds the dinghy and would be a good set of training wheels for someone learning to sail. This is nice also as it would act as a fender to protect the finish when sidling up to your M22. They are everywhere and available used in excellent condition as they really don't age. May need to replace the drain plug as these tend to leak over time. For towing I have a clip on the painter and attach it to a short line which I rig between the stern cleats of the catboat. This allows for some lateral play when underway and the flotation system up front allows me to run just a short line, as the cushion prevents damage from the dinghy hitting against the transom. It comes no where near the prop. For me it is a perfect system.
by J. Ciccone
Saturday, August 15, 2020
Looking For A Trailerable Catboat (Sanderling or Herreshoff 2 J. Coleman I would be very interested, but I am on the Gulf Coast..... that's a bit far!!
by J. Coleman
Sunday, August 9, 2020
Herreshoff 18 trailer recommendation 0 D. Jones What make and model or length of trailer might you recommend for an HA-18? My hope is to find one which sits the boat low as possible. A folding tongue would be a plus since the garage is only 19' deep. Diagonal or across the bays may be necessary
by D. Jones
Monday, July 27, 2020
Herreshoff 18 Airdraft? 0 D. Jones I need to estimate whether an HA-18 on trailer with mast removed will fit under my 7' garage door.If your HA-18 is stored in a garage, how high is your garage door opening?Does anyone know the height of the HA-18's companionway above design waterline? I am trying to determine the airdraft with mast unstepped.Yeah, it would be best to simply measure the height of the vessel on the trailer. But for various reasons, including pandemic, that isn't possible. 
by D. Jones
Monday, July 27, 2020
Tow vehicle for a 15 to 19 foot catboat 2 D. Jones What an excellent tip! I was leaning toward FWD Sienna for the gas mileage (when not towing). But now I think an AWD model for better rampability. Towing capacity of the Subaru Impreza is about the same as Sienna, which is reassuring."Hell on transmissions" Did you have transmission woes from towing in normal terrain, mountains, or was it mostly those steep ramps?The Sienna is to be converted to a camper (200 lbs of plywood so not much weight added https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6KnJB1m6Ds) to travel in in the time of corona and whatever nasty is next.
by D. Jones
Friday, July 24, 2020
Herreshoff 18 outboard well 3 D. Jones Thanks for the info. Are the articles on Kevin O'Driscoll's long cruises found here at catboats.org or elsewhere? (Yeah, I know, having just started in the catboat universe, I find the navigating a mystery.)I like that the H-18 outboard has no parts that jut out. On my current sloop I often find myself trudging forward to untangle the jib sheet. Dangling over the stern to unsnarl the mainsheet in gusty conditions might be daunting.I am eyeing an electric outboard paired with an AGM bank or perhaps a lithium. Less exhaust and more stealth.No racing in my future, so far as I know, so drag on an H-18 is less a concern.
by D. Jones
Thursday, July 23, 2020
Sanderling Cabin Roof Vent Question 1 J. Perry I replaced a broken plastic vent, when I got my used 18 several years ago. I used a stainless steel Beckson vent-o-matic static ventilator, and it works well with just air movement. Had one on my sloop for 30 years.The cabin has a slight curve, so the standard o-ring doesn't make solid contact. You need to use a silicone sealant (not strong adhesive ) and the supplied trim rings. If it allows air flow, in some extreme conditions will likely let water in.Friends with solar vents seem to have some love/hate issues, and battery-powered ones may be a little noisy at night. Lots of models out there on the web!
by P. Knowlton
Saturday, July 18, 2020
CBA Burgee color? 2 T. Moorhoff Chesapeake Catboat Association (your burgee is red over blue). See: http://www.chesapeakecatboats.org
by D. Davis
Tuesday, June 16, 2020
Menger 23 outhaul rigging 0 P. Giudice I am a new owner of a 2004 Menger 23 (homeport Guilford CT).  The outhaul does not seem rigged quite right.   I'd appreciate anyone's guidance on this; perhaps you could post or send a picture.  Thanks in advance.  Also any other suggestions for dos/don'ts are most welcome.   Phil Giudice Dolce Vita  
by P. Giudice
Thursday, June 4, 2020
Advice on options for outdoor winter storage 4 A. MacDuffie My Sanderling came with a big LL Bean tarp that works great. I pull it over the folding mast and it just covers the whole boat. Came away pretty clean this spring, too.
by R. Schless
Thursday, May 14, 2020
Looking for opinions on 14'-16' catboats 4 R. Laird I had a Menger 15 then a Sandpiper before my Sanderling (continuous 2 foot it is!). The Menger was a little splashy but ripping fast. The Sandpiper was a lovely little boat. Much bigger cockpit than the Sanderling. My wife wont use the Sanderling's head when there's anyone else on the boat anyway and feels a Hilton is a downgrade from her in-house sleeping arrangements, so the Sanderling's cabin is an unused benefit yet to be fulfilled. Go for the Sandpiper. Really sturdy, well-made boat, and you really can pull it up on shore (on an incoming tide!!)
by R. Schless
Thursday, May 14, 2020
Sanderling outboard options 6 W. Meier BTW..Same issue with my Sanderling and 5 hp Honda. I've caught it sooo many times. "emergency" gibe almost turned the boat over. The main sheet was caught up on the outboard extension and there was no easy way to release it. I think this is a serious problem with the outboards on both the Sandpiper and Sanderling that Marshall should address, possibly by moving the main sheet boom hardware. . This summer I've shortened the gear shift lever (which had an extension on it) but the throttle/steering lever is still a problem. I was thinking of an inboard shifter/throttle linkage like on speedboats, but then it becomes a steering issue. Any further suggestions?
by R. Schless
Thursday, May 14, 2020
Bulletin 0 A. Christian Thank you for mailing out the new Winter Bulletin, if I can't sail I can read the Bulletin! Al Christian Rockwall, Texas
by A. Christian
Friday, April 3, 2020
Latest News
Calendar

9/6/2020 » 10/25/2020
Hog Island Beetle Cat Series, West Falmouth, MA - September-October 2020 Sundays

9/22/2020 » 9/29/2020
(Updated) CCBA Delaware Canal Long Cruise to DE City & Hagley Museum