Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
General Discussion
Moderator(s):
| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Paying CBA Dues on line? 3 J. O'Connor I can't seem to pay online either?
by T. Caro
12 hours ago
18'Marshall Catboat Port holes 2 P. Carney Thanks for getting back to me about the port lights on your Sanderling. I decided to restore the original ones and I have already cut out the new lexan windows, and cleaned the bronze rings. I plan on using Dow 795 Silicon sealer to seal them to the cabin. They will now be fastened with through bolts to make them tight. I spoke with Geoff at Marshall Marine about it, and he suggests to leave it to the original design, which makes sense. I just purchase a new tabernackle mast for the boat. I am renovating the entire boat. Most of the cockpit and bulkhead was rotted. The cockpit was full of water. It has all been torn out and the new deck and bulkhead are epoxied in. I installed a new drainage system with 1 1/2" cockpit drains to a seacock, no longer out of the centerboard trunk. ( The new ones are designed like that) I also installed a bilge pump in the hull, in the event I do get water in that area. I plan on repainting the entire boat this spring and be sailing this summer. I plan on replacing the navigation lights with LED lights. The marine toilet was removed when I purchased the boat, but the hole were still there for the intake and discharge. The had sealed the holes to prevent water coming in. I filled the holes in on the bottom and epoxied them. The engine that came with the boat is a 9.9 Honda with a charging system. Geoff and the crew at Marshall Marine have been great about helping me with the restoration of my boat!
by P. Carney
Sunday, November 17, 2019
Mystic 20 question 1 P. Willetts That has happened to a mystic here in Maine, but re-powering is a big and expensive job, probably not at all worth it.Can you replace the drains with the perko models that have a flapper valve in them? Just a thought.
by M. Poor
Friday, November 1, 2019
Rendezvous Advice 2 T. Caro Thank you!
by T. Caro
Thursday, October 3, 2019
Mystic 20 question..another 1 P. Willetts Try https://l-36.com/find_used_sails.php?menu=3You can search by boat brand or sail dimensions.Good Luck!Doug
by D. McQuilken
Tuesday, October 1, 2019
Advice on options for outdoor winter storage 3 A. MacDuffie Seattle rains have come knocking on my Sanderling 18'..and I need a cover that is easily removable for wintertime sailing opportunities.  In the past, I've used a 8x10' plastic tarp.  It's worked fine, but takes more time than I like to remove and stow.  I'm seeking one like the tan custom made tarp in the bow-oriented photo which just drapes over the boom & sail. Other pic is for comparison...and when cash pours from sky;) If one has dimensions/ideas, please share ...but I'll also like to read ideas on snaps, lacing hooks or other hold-down mechanisms; please post your ideas....and closeup photos.
by A. Loggers
Thursday, September 19, 2019
2020 Annual Meeting 0 T. Caro Have the dates for the 2020 Annual Meeting been set? Thanks
by T. Caro
Friday, September 6, 2019
Looking for opinions on 14'-16' catboats 2 R. Laird I do like the Sandpipers. But just a littele bit deep, a little bit heavy, and a touch more expensive.
by R. Laird
Sunday, August 11, 2019
Marshall 22 sloop vs gaff only rigging 3 J. Craig-Muller I sailed a sloop rigged version of the 22 this summer. I grew up sailing sloops of various sizes and also Sanderlings, and would say that what Geoff Marshall told me about the sloop rig 22 was spot on- "it doesn't sail like a typical sloop". The performance was about the same as my 22 (cat rig).The jib was another tool for balancing the helm which was nice. As mentioned before there is a little foredeck, which was nice as well. The sloop rig is beautiful.I didn't notice any better pointing ability in the sloop rig. It added more sheets and another halyard. There is another sail to watch, put away, maintain/replace, and more hardware to deal with.I like a catboat because it has a cat rig and is simple; that however is important to me as I like my catboat for a relaxing sail with friends and children of all sailing abilities. I love the huge single sail. Personally I feel the sloop rig detracts from some of the most attractive aspects of a catboat.But whichever boat makes you look back at the mooring one last time after a sail and smile with pride, thats the boat for you (also the market is smaller for the sloop so I think you could get a better deal).
by M. Poor
Monday, July 8, 2019
Looking for a westerbeke w7 for parts 0 B. Welsh I have a Sanderling with a Westerbeke W7. The engine has been discontinued for some time. I'm looking for a spare engine I can use for parts. Anyone in the group that knows of or hears of an available W7 I'd be interested.  I'm going to post it in the public 'Cats for Sale'. Thought I'd float it here as well. 
by B. Welsh
Friday, July 5, 2019
How does one figure out a fair offer on a older wooden Catboat? 1 C. Hudacko This reply is very late. Curious where you ended up. My suggestion would be to have it surveyed by someone w experience. Something I didn't do when I bought sanderling and learned quickly after I took on more than I expected for the price paid.
by B. Welsh
Friday, July 5, 2019
Sanderling inboard cockpit 2 J. Hoey I have a new-to-me 2009 Sanderling with an inboard. So far I've found that the engine cover makes a great footrest and occasional seating area. No complaints at all.
by P. Jordan
Tuesday, June 4, 2019
Sanderling Autopilot 0 P. Jordan Has anyone out there installed an autopilot on a Marshal Sanderling?  If so, do you have any advice and/or photos of your work? Thanks! Paul
by P. Jordan
Sunday, June 2, 2019
Catboat Manual 4 Free 0 D. McQuilken Fellow catboaters, you may find this - Catboat Guide and Sailing Manual by Edward Steinfeld - useful and/or informative: http://www.go-embedded.com/Sailingmanual.pdf Doug
by D. McQuilken
Friday, May 31, 2019
Sail Maintenance Question 1 J. Perry Hi Jnot sure where you are but I use Canvas Connection in Deale MD.
by R. Roddewig
Tuesday, May 21, 2019
Jiffy Reefing Set Up For HA18 1 B. Pyle Does require quite a few fittings and holes. I went from conventional two line system, with cleats on the boom, to a single line system that I like, similar to those in some recent bulletins . That may be your first major choice . A lot of personal preference involved .You may get better feedback from the catboat association lounge on Facebook. A number of active members, and some working on an HA-18 group.My goal with my Marshall 18, which I single-hand , is to not have to leave the cockpit/companionway once I drop the mooring.Good luck.
by P. Knowlton
Sunday, May 12, 2019
Com-Pacs on moorings? 0 J. Hoey     Does anyone have any experience with a Com-Pac Horizon or Sun Cat kept on a tidal mooring subject to wave action? Concerned not so much about the ability of the hull to sit in mud, but for mud to get compressed into the centerboard trunk given its fin keel. Also wonder about the durability of the mast and rigging while on a mooring even with the stays?  The mast doesn't look near as hefty as traditional New England catboats.  Any experiences?
by J. Hoey
Sunday, April 14, 2019
Does anyone have info on a Com-pac Horizon? 7 R. Schless Does anyone have any experience with a Com-Pac Horizon or Sun Cat kept on a tidal mooring subject to wave action? Concerned not so much about the ability of the hull to sit in mud, but for mud to get compressed into the centerboard trunk since it's not a full fin keel. Also wonder about the durability of the mast rigging while on the mooring when seas pick up as they can do in New England anchorages!  
by J. Hoey
Saturday, April 13, 2019
Lost Rudder for Handy Cat! 3 J. Wick thanks J. and P. I tried Stroudwater, no longer in service. I'll give Arey's Pond a try.John
by J. Wick
Monday, April 8, 2019
Sandpiper- moving Harken mainsheet block 0 R. White Not sure if this post is in the right spot- I would like to move the Harken mainsheet block on my Marshall Sandpiper (1985) from the base of the centerboard case to the top as is an option on new boats. Has anyone done this? I plan on contacting Marshall Marine but would appreciate some DIY input.
by R. White
Saturday, April 6, 2019
Latest News
Calendar

1/24/2020 » 1/26/2020
58th CBA Annual Meeting at the Mystic Marriott Hotel & Spa - Tickets Now Available

8/28/2020 » 8/29/2020
Spray Beach Yacht Club 1st Annual Rendezvous