Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
General Discussion
Moderator(s):
| 2 | 3 | 4
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Com-Pacs on moorings? 0 J. Hoey     Does anyone have any experience with a Com-Pac Horizon or Sun Cat kept on a tidal mooring subject to wave action? Concerned not so much about the ability of the hull to sit in mud, but for mud to get compressed into the centerboard trunk given its fin keel. Also wonder about the durability of the mast and rigging while on a mooring even with the stays?  The mast doesn't look near as hefty as traditional New England catboats.  Any experiences?
by J. Hoey
Sunday, April 14, 2019
Does anyone have info on a Com-pac Horizon? 7 R. Schless Does anyone have any experience with a Com-Pac Horizon or Sun Cat kept on a tidal mooring subject to wave action? Concerned not so much about the ability of the hull to sit in mud, but for mud to get compressed into the centerboard trunk since it's not a full fin keel. Also wonder about the durability of the mast rigging while on the mooring when seas pick up as they can do in New England anchorages!  
by J. Hoey
Saturday, April 13, 2019
Lost Rudder for Handy Cat! 3 J. Wick thanks J. and P. I tried Stroudwater, no longer in service. I'll give Arey's Pond a try.John
by J. Wick
Monday, April 8, 2019
Sandpiper- moving Harken mainsheet block 0 R. White Not sure if this post is in the right spot- I would like to move the Harken mainsheet block on my Marshall Sandpiper (1985) from the base of the centerboard case to the top as is an option on new boats. Has anyone done this? I plan on contacting Marshall Marine but would appreciate some DIY input.
by R. White
Saturday, April 6, 2019
Catboat donation for youth adventure program 0 M. Welcome My sailing club (Saratoga Lake Sailing Club www.sailsaratoga.org ) is in search of a free or very close to free catboat for use in our youth sailing programs.   Our "Adventure Sailing"  program is designed to expose kids to all the types of sailing that does not involve Optis/420s/FJs and nothing but racing racing drills.   We try to give them access all summer to play with keelboats, multihulls, day sailors and whatever we can get our hands on so they can just go out and learn and enjoy sailing for the pure fun of it.  They do sail my own Beetle Swan, but it is too small for a bunch of them to pile in and go out for a while which is what they really enjoy.  We had access for 1 season to a Handy Cat which they loved, but that was a loaner and went away.  We would love something in the 18-22' range which would let them go out as a big group.    Ideally we would also like to give them experience with a gaff rig which is non-existent at our club.   We do have a Foundation which is a 501c3 (Saratoga Lake Sailing Foundation) and thus can give a donation letter for tax purposes.    We are an all volunteer club so any assistance is greatly appreciated.  ADMIN: If this type of post/request is not allowed in the forums, my apologies and please remove or let me know and I will remove. Mark Welcome Director, Sailing School slsc_sailingpgm@sailsaratoga.org   
by M. Welcome
Saturday, March 30, 2019
Sail Maintenance Question 0 J. Perry Can anyone recommend a shop that can make minor repairs and clean my Sanderling sail? Thank you.     
by J. Perry
Monday, March 18, 2019
Mooring Sea Anchor? 2 R. Schless Hi Beau Best Bet.Get the harbormaster to move you to a more protected location AND dont forget to bash the wedges periodically..Does ur boat gave a forestay?? Is it equipped with a wire : "hold down" (not certain of the correct nautical term) below decks at the mast step?.No real solution but maybe a rubber snubber will reduce the motion a bit but I wouldnt bet on it! MAMIE😎...
by J. Jodice
Saturday, March 2, 2019
How does one figure out a fair offer on a older wooden Catboat? 0 C. Hudacko Hi Again,   During the past few years there has been a few big project cats that I have looked at. They all have been wooden construction and ranged from 17 to 25 feet long. I have been for the past few months talking with the current owner of a 20' cat and don't really know how to proceed from where we are at now. The boat has been on the hard for the past 3-5 years & covered up during that time, I think she was winterized back then and she has been well maintained over the years. I have seen a copy of the last survey that was done in 2012 and overall think she should be sea worthy without much work other than re-caulking and fresh paint. Both the owner and the yard where she was kept at have recommended that she be re-powered for the type of cruising I'm thinking of doing. I don't want to mention her current or past names right now as I think I would be incurring competition for her new ownership.   But let's say that from the 2012 survey she had a retail value of around $9000 and a replacement value of $50,000. How do I go about figuring out a fair price to offer without insulting the current owners?   Thanks in advance for any & all input. Charles H
by C. Hudacko
Wednesday, January 30, 2019
new menber introduction 0 C. Hudacko Hello all, I'm Charles Hudacko and I joined a couple of months ago.. I have some experience beetle cats but that was back in my pre-teen years, so let's say 40 plus years ago. I've been thinking about buying a larger catboat for a handful of years now, something that I could use post retirement for coastal cruising from anywhere along the eastern coast, all the way down to Florida and maybe the great loop a few times. I currently live in the Fayetteville /Raleigh NC area and have been looking at NC coastal property to buy as for my impending retirment. My family also owns a house in Duxbury Mass, on the bay. I wished I could have had made the trip up for the annual meeting in Mystic this past weekend but couldn't do so. Thanks for letting me join & I look forward to learning more about the club & people that are in it. Charles H    
by C. Hudacko
Wednesday, January 30, 2019
Minuteman 15 1 J. Clearwater I love it - she is a nimble cat, and I have sailed one for many years.
by K. Katz
Thursday, October 25, 2018
AIS Recommendations 2 D. Look Dan, You could buy a fixed VHF radio with AIS integration, you could connect this VHF to a chartplotter if you have one installed and that way you have the capability of seeing targets on a screen. But honestly, what are you trying to achieve with it? see or be seen? what's your train of thought with getting AIS?There are two types of AIS, A and B, A is commercial use (very expensive, transmits frequently) and B is everyone else, AIS B transmits at 30 second intervals or every three minutes if you are doing under 2 knots, which is terrible for collision avoidance, Your eyes are the best bit of kit when it comes to avoiding other vessels, and your lights are the best bit of kit for being avoided, AIS B adds a little situational awareness but a lot of the time it makes situations a lot more confusing if you are not used to it... So let me give you a very possible scenario, you are sailing at dusk, not much breeze, more like bobbing around (under 2 knots SOG) but you have you AIS on, adding a certain level of complacency. A mile away, charlie big nuts is taking his new 40 foot sea ray and has the need for speed, no prior experience or training, someone at west marine barely explained navigation so he is now a pro at it... weekend warrior at its finest, he is driving from inside, all his interior lights on, windshield covered in spray, basically zero situational awareness, but he has you on AIS, or had your last transmitted position 3 minutes ago, he doesn't know about bold alterations of course to avoid other boats, heck this clown thinks boats have headlights, Can you see what i'm getting at? I know this sounds extreme but scenarios like this are happening every single weekend all over the country, AIS is unfortunately only adding complacency to the mix, The only benefit I see from having AIS in such a small boat is being able to be spotted by commercial traffic in open water, you wouldn't believe how easily small sailboats blend into the sea and how easy it is to miss them/not see them at all.
by A. Archdale
Tuesday, October 16, 2018
I might be relocating to New Jersey any Catboat groups around Cape May? 0 E. Dankievitch Hi, I got a job offer down in Cape May New Jersey does anyone know of a Catboat group down there? on Delaware Bay?   
by E. Dankievitch
Sunday, October 7, 2018
Trailering Issues with Sanderling 7 J. Perry I echo what S. Hartman has said- Wheels touching the water is not a reliable indication of if you are far enough in. The trailer itself should be submerged the same amount as it is when you launch. Let the water do most of the work. There are so many variables involved that it is absolutely possible to have the vehicle's rear wheels in the water and the boat is not floating enough to retrieve and or launch. As long as the vehicle door sills are not in the water you are ok. Can you back in further if the extension is not your solution? Are you trailering from a low sedan?
by M. Poor
Thursday, September 27, 2018
Engines for the Marshall 18 Sanderling 1 F. Kemp I used to motor my J/24 all over heck-and-gone with a 3.5hp long shaft two-stroke with high thrust prop.Now, in general we were only motoring if it was calm. But one particular day conditions were sporting and we had to motor upwind after a pretty spectacular rig failure. It was kinda slow, but we got there.
by S. Hartman
Tuesday, September 25, 2018
Sanderling inboard cockpit 1 J. Hoey I have had two inboard sanderlings. The old and new cockpit.The "new" design has a slightly smaller cover.Now, I can't stand here and tell you it's not in the way. But it's OK, we make do with it. Everything is tradeoffs. The increased convenience and seaworthiness of the inboard design makes up for it, for my usage of the boat.
by S. Hartman
Advice on options for outdoor winter storage 2 A. MacDuffie Also practical sailor has a small write up on covers here, https://www.practical-sailor.com/blog/What-to-Look-For-in-a-Sailboat-Winter-Cover-10945-1.htmlwith a link to this cover shop that has some good infowww.shipshapecanvas.comReading through that may give you some more information about options out there.
by M. Poor
Alerion? 2 R. Schless Hello,Any members have experience with the 19' Alerion catboat and its overall maintenance/longevity, especially in salt? There's a 2000 for sale presently, and I'm interested to hear how they have held up over time (can it really be almost two decades? ;-)Particularly interested in learning more about the rig, and whether it requires any special attention, etc.Thanks,Doug
by D. Coupar
Monday, July 30, 2018
Jiffy reefing set up for Marshall Sanderling (1974) 5 B. Strigh Followed Knowlton's suggestions, and they work great! 5/16" line works fine. Thanks, Peter...
by R. Schless
Monday, July 2, 2018
Sanderling outboard options 5 W. Meier same issue with my Sandpiper/6hp outboard (with shifter extension, yet). Royal pain. And the outboard is ugly. Wish I had a diesel (with its own issues, of course)...But every time I sail past one of those Hereshoff Americas I have to smile.
by R. Schless
Monday, July 2, 2018
Marshall Sanderling Bulkhead Rot Repair 0 T. Moorhoff I've recently inherited a 1986 Marshall Sanderling.  She's a nice boat but needs a bit more work than I had anticipated.  The biggest issue right now is rot in the bulkhead at the aft end of the cabin.  The plywood is essentially gone. It appears that this is a common issue but I haven't found any explanation of the work involved or photos of the repair process.  Do any of you have tips on how to approach this?  There is also rot in the few inches of bench closest to the bulkhead mentioned above.  The end is no longer supported at the bulkhead and the bench is free to sag when loaded.  Has anybody come across this issue?  I'm hopeful that I can repair it without replacing the entire bench but I want to avoid band-aid fixes, too.   Don't have pics of the conditions right now but I've attached one from the day I picked her up just for fun.  Thanks in advance for any guidance! EDIT:  Looks like I accidentally put this in the "General Discussion" forum instead of the "Catboat Building and Maintenance" one.  Hopefully someone with admin powers can fix that...
by T. Moorhoff
Monday, July 2, 2018
Latest News
Calendar

4/24/2019 » 4/26/2019
The Beaufort Yacht and Sailing Club Classic Boat Rally

4/27/2019 » 4/28/2019
Lowcountry Catboat Gathering