Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
Cruising
Moderator(s):
Page 1 of 1
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
role and function of the topping lift 2 H. Chaikin Catboat and How to sail her, CBA bookstore.Reefing, take tension off leach, easier to tighten outhaul . Downwind in rolling waves, raise boom to keep it from tripping in waves.Scandalizing, to shorten sail in a hurry by easing peak, top up to keep boom up.
by P. Knowlton
Monday, October 8, 2018
maneuvering a Sanderling into a slip with an outboard motor 1 J. Catlin Late reply but this has a section dealing specifically with tiller and outboard maneuvering into slips. Maybe it will give you some insight?http://www.go-embedded.com/Sailingmanual.pdf
by M. Poor
Tuesday, September 25, 2018
Compac catboats 1 J. Hoey Not much experience, only a couple I know of on Northshore on Boston, both SunCats, l believe. Only seen them sailing in light wind, and appeared under canvassed, particularly when approaching boat wakes. Grayson, in his The Cape Cod Catboat, review section mentions the higher boom height and lower sail area impacting performance somewhat, but maybe requiri g later reefing. They've been around for quite a while, and believe have a good build reputation.You may want to try the Listserve site or The Catboat Lounge (facebook !), to get a wider response.Good luck, happy sailing.
by P. Knowlton
Thursday, April 5, 2018
Mobjack Bay, Va to Nyack, NY 2 D. Myers Have made the trip from Solomons MD to Maine. See the CCBA Site (chesapeakecatboats.org under "cat-tails" - http://www.chesapeakecatboats.org/cat-tails.htmlYou'll find yourself not using much of an ICW since the one in NJ has at least one bridge you'll not be able to get under.My guess is you'll need to go up the bay - through the C&D Canal - down Delaware bay to the tip of NJ (Caper May) then offshore, pulling in as needed and up to NYC - then to Nyack.Hope you can get someone - just not convenient for me...
by T. Smythe
Monday, January 1, 2018
Boom vang on a catboat? 2 P. Plate Another reason for not using a vang is help keep from tripping the boom in the ocean. Reaching or running in a seaway may cuase the boom to trip in the swells, which isn't pleasant . Under these conditions you may want to raise the boom, not hold it securely down!
by P. Knowlton
Wednesday, October 18, 2017
Hello and advice 4 J. Ciccone Just a quick followup question: I see some Sanderlings that have wheel steering but I do not see that as an available option. Are people retrofitting these boats with pedestal steering?
by J. Ciccone
Sunday, August 27, 2017
Cockpit Tent? 3 R. Schless Beau,Rest the boom on a boom crutch. Free the lazy jacks and install your beautiful cockpit tent.Happy Days, Capt. Fred
by F. Saas
Friday, August 25, 2017
Cruising Guides 1 N. Titcomb I recall the Taft guide as being quite thorough.
by W. Collins
Friday, March 17, 2017
Tall Ships Boston 2017 2 W. Van Cott If there is interest, I would be willing to look into hosting guests at Old Colony Yacht Club. We have a barge/guest float that could easy manage several boats, with more that could find space on the moorings. Guests would have access to the bar and grill, showers, etc. 42°17'59.7"N 71°02'35.9"WCheers,Greg & ChelseyPhuCat, M-22, Quincy MA
by G. Babbin
Tuesday, March 14, 2017
Cruise - Niantic, CT to Greenport, L.I. 0 W. Collins There is going to be a mixed small boat fleet cruise from Niantic to Long Island on the weekend of June 9 - 11, 2017. I will be bringing my Marshall Sanderling. Contact me for details. Bill
by W. Collins
Friday, March 10, 2017
Sitting on the bottom 2 W. Goodwin Thanks, George. Looks like she sits flat as a pancake! Likely the HA would do so as well.Bill
by W. Goodwin
Wednesday, October 7, 2015
Latest News
Calendar

1/25/2019 » 1/27/2019
2019 CBA 57th Annual Meeting