Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
Catboat Building and Maintenance
Moderator(s):
|<
<
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Boom Brake 0 C. Downes   Has anybody out there ever used a Boom Brake or Jibe Protector on a Catboat? If so, success / failure? What type have you used? Seems like a great idea for the amount of sail we carry. I was looking at a inexpensive one, but I can't seem to figure how to set it up correctly.
by C. Downes
Thursday, September 3, 2015
American Soul in far Serbia 0 D. Zivkovic Dear all,   Years ago I was in contact with the association when I started building my Cat. There was even a small story about it in one of bulletins. I named my Cat St. Nikola as a remembering on my father who spent hours and hours working on it with me but didn’t have chance finally to take a ride as illness stop him.   From last month and thanks to Spencer and our president Tim I am member again.   This year I have done some renovations on my Cat and it is back in shape again.   It is first time this summer that we took a trip on our cat. Kids were too small for. Our nautical club is each year organizing a 300km trip thou two rivers and one channel. Eight day traveling together with 11 other boats. It was perfect.   We had this summer extreme sunny days so I had to make some protection against it. As you can see on pictures in my profile it is not so usual for Cats. It was finished in just two days and it worked perfectly. We even make a big mosquito fence around hall boat so it was confortable in the evening time when they are active.   Any how my wife, boys and me are in love with our Cat and we enjoy every minute we spent on it. We are glad to be a part of your community again!   Best regards, Dino Zivkovic
by D. Zivkovic
Wednesday, September 2, 2015
Bilge pump on Mystic 20 ? 0 P. Cheverie I own Mystic 20 ANNIE, hull number 8. She has never had an electric bilge pump installed. I leave her on a mooring and worry about taking on water. The hull has a very deep bilge, not sure how to go about getting a bilge pump mounted in there. Anyone with experience with this problem ? I'd appreciate your input. Paul Cheverie. 781 635 2262
by P. Cheverie
Saturday, August 15, 2015
Wood Boat Maintenance Guidance 3 R. Schless Beau:My first catboat was a 20-ft Crosby, -1910. She was in good shape and getting her ready was a piece of cake. The best thing for wood boats is to keep them in the water. Sand and paint the topsides and rub rail in the Fall when the boat is tight. Remove all varnish pieces that you can and bring them inside and varnish over the winter. I sand the spars outside and put them in the basement for winter varnishing. If you can't put them in a lace where you can do this over the winter- varnish them in the fall.In the Spring I closely examine the bottom, removing old seam compound and repaying the seams. Painting the bottom is the same as it would be with a fiberglass boat. I like to pay special attention to the toe rail and deck to cabin seam. Letting water get inside will most likely mean rot later or at the very least pealing paint. Engine work is the same as with fiberglass. I do as much as I can with the boat in the water. The work is quite enjoyable when done with the water lapping at the sides. I do a light sanding of the varnish in the fall and apply a coat or two.For the last 25-years, I have owned the 25-ft, Crosby catboat, GENEVIEVE. A few years ago, I completed the second major restoration while under my stewardship. This second restoration took 5-years. I replaced all plumbing and electrical infrastructure under the cockpit. I replaced all frames aft of the cockpit and ~ 65% of the planking. With this restoration completed she went back in the water and has been there for the last 3 years. I will take her out this fall for some needed painting to her topsides. -BOB
by R. Luckraft
Wednesday, July 15, 2015
Marshall18Caulking shear bead 0 R. Allsopp I am in the process of recaulking the beading on on the deck shear and cabin top.  I wonder if it is better to caulk both top and bottom of the shear bead or just the top so as to allow any water that might get in there to  drain out. Dick
by R. Allsopp
Monday, May 18, 2015
Latest News
Calendar