Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
Catboat Building and Maintenance
Moderator(s):
| 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Bilge Pump Placement 1 J. Seymour I have a used 1969 Sanderling with outboard, and except for some rain water around mast, and maybe a small leak near cabin bulkhead, don't get excessive water. On boat several days a week. If the is a concerning amount of water, find source and correct it. Other than the skeg cavity, lowest part of bildge is at main bulkhead, and need to pump sides separately . Did find could drain skek after haul-out by removing a screw in bottom plate, maybe a couple ounces .
by P. Knowlton
Saturday, October 12, 2019
Looking for centerboard design dimensions for Molly 17 0 A. Cochran Greetings: I recently purchased a 17’ Molly Catboat (built in Richmond, CA 1988).  Much to everyone’s surprise (owner and buyer) a diver determined that the centerboard was missing!  I’m looking for another owner of the same boat with drawings of the centerboard (measurements or a pattern - or someone willing to make one) to have a new fiberglass centerboard shaped and installed.  Fortunately, she has a keel, but we know she’ll sail better with a centerboard!  The boat is located in the San Francisco Bay area. Please contact me at Alice@AliceCochran.com.  Thanks you!
by A. Cochran
Friday, October 11, 2019
Tabernacle Issues on Sanderling 3 R. Schless I had success with a very stuck hinge following the advice above, hammering in the wedges and having a friend sit on the boom to keep the mast from lifting in addition to this very simple lever (two boards really) and some string serve as an extra set of hands and keeping parts from falling overboard.  I hope this picture attaches! Dave Holbrook davidaholbrook16@gmail.com
by D. Holbrook
Sunday, September 29, 2019
Hull number HA18 3 J. Porter Mine is on the port side of transome exterior
by J. Porter
Friday, September 20, 2019
Outboard for HA18 motor well 2 J. Porter Thank you! Are you able to use the part of the cockpit seats that covers the motor or is the four stroke top end to tall.
by J. Porter
Thursday, September 19, 2019
Marshall 22 engine vents 6 M. Poor On my 22 I currently only have one vent hose hooked up. It's attach to the Cowl vent which is facing forward. The other Cowl vent is facing aft and the hose has been removed. The idea is air is forced in thru the forward facing Cowl vent down the hose to low in the bilge. The heat from the engine rises and exits from the Cowl vent with no hose. I've been running like this for the past few years without issue.
by T. Caro
Wednesday, September 4, 2019
Topping lift location 0 T. Moorhoff Where and how do you all have your topping lifts attached to your booms?  I'm rigging my Sanderling and wondering how best to do it.  The Marshall rigging diagram says "tie to forward mainsheet bail" but many of the boats featured on their website seem to have it tied to a bracket or shackle all the way at the aft end of the boom.  Is there a preferred method?  It seems to me that tying it somewhere forward on the boom as Marshall suggests would prevent it from fouling the gaff as it is raised but using a bowline on the same ring as the mainsheet block seems like it could get tangled as well. Any opinions or recommendations would be welcome. Thanks
by T. Moorhoff
Tuesday, September 3, 2019
Soft deck in cockpit 31 K. Trainor Your post was most timely! I picked up a 50 inch wide roll of fiberglass and a roll of tape last week. Once my plywood order arrives, I can start the next phase of the overhaul.My seats were half inch plywood, so I will go with that.Joe
by J. Seymour
Tuesday, August 27, 2019
Sail cover for my HA18 3 M. Perry Hi folks, thanks for the good advice, including the memory related tip...! I did have Thurston make a cover for me, and Neil Thurston even offered to take some measurements directly from Pixie at her slip, (I keep her in Portsmouth, one town over from Thurston's location in Bristol). These folks have always been awesome to work with, they refurbed my original flag sail a few years ago. I will definitely buy my new sail from them when I can afford it.
by M. Perry
Wednesday, August 14, 2019
Sanderling Wedges 0 N. Truscott Has anyone had experience with SPARTITE MAST PARTNER SUPPORT to replace the wedges on Sanderling mast. Mine keep falling out no matter how hard I bang them in.  I think my mooring is in a location that moves a lot.
by N. Truscott
Monday, July 22, 2019
Barrier coat for an old Marshall? 0 T. Moorhoff I've got a 1985 Marshall Sanderling which needs new anti-fouling.  I have not inspected for blisters yet but will.  When talking about the project, my local marina suggested adding barrier coat for a significant up-charge.  I've read up on the subject and have seen some conflicting opinions.  None of them say it's bad, just that it may not be warranted.  My boat is what you might call a fixer-upper so I am not looking for the Cadillac.  The Ford option will do just fine. So what say you fiberglass catboat owners?  Do you have barrier coat on your boats or do you just keep up your anti-fouling regimen?
by T. Moorhoff
Monday, July 15, 2019
Small Lapstrake from Plans 0 K. Lewis Are there any building plans for small lapstrake catboats out there? 16 feet or less.   Thanks Kent
by K. Lewis
Monday, July 15, 2019
Sanderling Wedges and Headstay 1 N. Truscott Congratulations on your new boat! I ordered a set of replacement wedges directly from Geoff Marshall. That is the way to go. It will save you a lot of time and energy.Take a look at the maintenance tips section on the Marshall website. There is a paragraph that explains the procedure. You can give them a good bash. Use a white rubber mallet. There are also two wedges that go into the mast step. Joe
by J. Seymour
Monday, July 8, 2019
Mast Hoop Rigging 3 T. Moorhoff Attached is photo oof friends hoop. Older boats used a bronze bow shackle , newer ones use stainless steel. I used tarred synthetic  cod line for my lashing, other us heavy waxed serving thread. About 8 turns through shackle  and hoop, then about 4 turns at 90 degrees to those between shackle and hoop, finish with square knot or surgions  knot.
by P. Knowlton
Tuesday, July 2, 2019
Teak Care 6 D. Bivins If you want to learn more on the subject, I would suggest you pick up a copy of Brightwork: The Art of Finishing Wood by Rebecca Wittman, you’ll be an expert!
by M. Poor
Thursday, June 20, 2019
Converting a catboat to electric power 5 K. Sloan Turns out my little Tecumseh HAS gone the distance and I have taken it out of the boat. I plan to sell the boat and am looking for info the help the potential buyers to assess the cost/difficulty of repowering with an outboard or electric setup. Essentially something to get in and out of a boat landing. We are mostly lake sailors here with fairly short cruises and used to dealing with crowded landings and lots of impatient powerboats.Thanks, Ken
by K. Sloan
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
where is the bulkhead/cockpit joint on a marhall 22? 3 R. Roddewig The seam basically runs along where T.'s hole is. The cockpit is essentially a fiberglass tub placed in, so it is the seam joining the horizontal surface of the cockpit floor to the vertical surfaces of the CB trunk and the cabin bulkhead. To access that seam you must remove any caulking around the aft CB trunk (where it sticks out in to the cockpit by your scuppers), and you can go up through the ballast boxes (steps) and reach back and up. I repaired the leak in mine my by glassing the entire seam in, as mine was tabbed in and sealed with marine caulk around the CB trunk (but mine is an '82, so there could be slight differences here). My leak was right where the junction of the cockpit floor and the CB trunk are, along a seam that appears solid. A leak there however will drip into the upper bilge area as you saw, so unless it is getting so full that it spills over into the ballast boxes (which have limber holes forward to under the floor) it's probably not the source. This is possible though (the previous owner of mine let this happen all the time over a few years and almost destroyed the floor). Some thoughts (apologies if you have tried already)- Is your mast taped and covered with the boot? Portholes? If they are original the seals are getting pretty old. My leaky porthole gave zero (and I mean zero) indication of a leak (no marks, discoloration etc). I found it when it was raining. Handrails, hardware, basically any place where the cabin top has something going through it can be a source. Can you run a hose over the top of the boat with someone inside or sit in the boat when it is raining? Good luck and let us know what you find!
by M. Poor
Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Free Used Boat Part Search Now Available for Catboaters 4 D. McQuilken For you newbies, this post dates from 2015 and we are still in business (if you can call providing a free service a business)BTW - Start with this home page not the old link: www.BoatUsedPartSearch.com
by D. McQuilken
Friday, May 31, 2019
Replacing scupper in M-22 cockpit 0 R. Roddewig Hi sailors I had a leaking drain (scupper) in my cockpit that was contributing to water in the forward bilges under the cabin.  Turned out that the PO had caulked/poly adhesived the backing plate to the underside of the cockpit along with the scupper.  The backing plate had cracked and the whole thing was flexing the leaking.  The photos below show the replacement in case anyone else needs to work on this or has this problem.   First photo shows the backing plate covered with caulk, second after removing the caulk (or probably the other side).  Third is new backing plate with hole for scupper after epoxy coating the oak piece.  Should have epoxied after the hole was in, doh!  The coated with two coats of Petit epoxy paint (including the hole).  And finally installed in the boat with Total Boat thickened epoxy to hold it in and Boat life caulk on the scupper, ready to insert and hook up the hose to the drain.
by R. Roddewig
Wednesday, May 29, 2019
Nanni 2.10 Engine Oil 2 P. Jordan Thanks Marc!
by P. Jordan
Friday, May 24, 2019
Latest News
Calendar

9/8/2019 » 10/27/2019
Hog Island Beetle Cat Series, West Falmouth, MA - September-October 2018 Sundays

10/19/2019 » 10/20/2019
Wye Wild Goose Chase Weekend - Eastern Shore, MD