Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
Catboat Building and Maintenance
Moderator(s):
| 2 | 3 | 4
>
>|
Forum Actions

Topics   Replies Score Author Latest Post
Questions concerning HA 18 0 L. Bost Holiday Greetings from a newbie Catboat owner. For the last 2 years I have been refurbishing a 1976 HA 18. She's almost complete but needs new mast hoops, parrel balls and cockpit cushions. She has been put away far from me in Maine. Could someone please give me those dimensions so that I can work these items out this winter. Thanks!! Larry Bost and "Catitude"
by L. Bost
Saturday, December 15, 2018
Soft deck in cockpit 8 K. Trainor I am planning to replace the cockpit sole in my 1973 Sanderling. I understand that I should use good, marine plywood and at the very least glass it on top and epoxy on all sides. My question is why is plywood the best material? Could I consider using a good grade of Douglas Fir or Yellow Pine?
by J. Seymour
Thursday, November 29, 2018
remove my bow sprit to varnish? 2 R. Roddewig Thanks, will do.
by R. Roddewig
Saturday, November 17, 2018
Menger 19 Deck Hatch 2 M. OLeary I'd give Jerry Thompson from Thompson Boat works a call chances are he ether built your boat or knows who did and what the best way to do what you want. here is his number631-889-2918
by E. Dankievitch
Monday, October 15, 2018
Herreshoff America Blocks and Boom Crutch and Bracket 4 M. Perry Thanks David, but I went with other blocks myself, actually found a complete solution in the used parts section of my local marine store. I was out of there with a complete new set of blocks for my main sheet for about $22.00. I ran like a thief...;-)
by M. Perry
Wednesday, August 15, 2018
Herreshoff America engine fumes in the cockpit 3 M. Cline One of the things I am experiencing with the Honda, is it has a tendency to stall after a hot run or sometimes when running at high speed. Very difficult to start after. Any problems with the Tohatsu?
by C. Downes
Tuesday, August 14, 2018
Menger Owner's Manual 2 N. Tulloh Only thing I have is some excerpts from the Menger 19 manual in PDF.
by D. Olson
Monday, August 13, 2018
Battery charger upgrade 0 R. Roddewig I upgraded my battery charger in my Marshall 22.  But of course this could be any boat. The first photo shows the old battery charger and having labeled some of the cables with masking tape (not great but better than I started with).   I found where the charger tied into the current fuse box and AC system. Wired in the new charger which had a three prong plug meant for an outlet.  In the next image you can see the white, black and green wire from the cord where I have removed the three prong plug and crimped on ring connectors. And finally the battery charged install in the compartment above the batteries (sorry for the 90 degree rotation, I tried a bunch of editing on the site here and could not rotate it). New charger is working great and happy with all the modes it has.  Not a bad project overall.  And nice for me to get familiar with Otter's wiring panel.  Please let me know if you have any questions.
by R. Roddewig
Saturday, August 11, 2018
Minuteman Catboat 3 K. Conger The minuteman is pure fiberglass except for the coaming, rub rails, and teak seats.
by K. Katz
Monday, July 30, 2018
Looking for a centerboard winch 0 W. Watson Trying to find a winch like the one in the picture below. I took this picture from a video I saw on line. Can’t seem to find it again or the winch? Thanks...Bill Watson...sandyshoescottage@yahoo.com....757-695-1353
by W. Watson
Tuesday, July 3, 2018
second reef point 1 R. Schless Beau: reef line appears fouled on opposite side of boom (old cleat?). Try attaching bitter end to forward boom bail to tension leach. Try reefing on tack, same side ss reef line. Your pic, 2nd reef, port tack.
by P. Knowlton
Wednesday, June 27, 2018
Reefing Upgrade Concerns 2 E. Grant Lots of good points from an experienced catboat sailor is just what I was looking for. Will certainly consider these factors in my installation. I'm particularly concerned about the Vang effect, and cabin top loading you mention. If you have any photo of you're installation, I would appreciate seeing them.ThanksEric
by E. Grant
Thursday, April 26, 2018
HA18 cockpit drain leak 2 G. Damerel Thanks. I just bought both the cockpit drain and thru hull ( with valve) and will modify this in the spring. It's a real annoyance in a otherwise tight boat and only leaks when the boat pounds and water is forced up the trunk. Appreciate the input!George
by G. Damerel
Monday, December 11, 2017
Herreshoff America Centerboard Issue 2 D. MacPherson Just pull the line till it is all off the drum, hold the drum and put another loop or two of line back on the drum and pull it up the rest of the way.
by C. Huberman
Saturday, December 9, 2017
Electrical Switch/Fuse Panel for Marshall Sanderling 3 R. Rapp Thank you both very much guys. These are some good ideas that I plan to put to good use. Maybe we can talk more at the meeting in January. Best, Ron
by R. Rapp
Sunday, December 3, 2017
Tabernacle Issues on Sanderling 2 R. Schless Comments from Geoff Marshall:"While the marine grease works well initially, we find that it gets sticky over time. I would recommend wiping off as much of the grease as you can get to, then spraying it with WDS-40 or CRC to break down any of the residue. At this point it is a good idea to go up and down with the mast a few times to make sure it is operating properly,. We recommend a Teflon spray such as McLube or SailKote as a lubricant for the hinges. It goes on dry so it wont attract an grit or get sticky. You can certainly fashion some type of fulcrum to lift the mast if it is putting up a fight. Just make sure the mast wedges are knocked in securely ad that you have someone behind the mast to control the drop. The foredeck is strong enough to take the pressure."
by R. Schless
Tuesday, November 28, 2017
Picture of a Marshall 22 on a trailer 2 William D. Watson Thanks for the information. I’ll take a look.
by William D. Watson
Saturday, November 11, 2017
Cushion Recommendations? 3 R. Schless For any Marshall cat, I'd go back to Marshall. When I was looking for a sail cover for Cranberry, my sailmaker (Squteague) told me to go to Marshall for one. The cushions will be in stock, but if not you'll probably have them faster and they'll fit better.
by B. Putnam
Thursday, November 9, 2017
Tank Capacity Question 0 J. Perry Greetings, I have a '90 Sanderling with an inboard diesel and marine head with a holding tank.  Can someone tell me what the capacity is on both the fuel and holding tanks?  Thanks, John      
by J. Perry
Wednesday, October 18, 2017
Boom Crutch Brackets for an HA18 0 M. Perry Hi folks,  Both boom crutch brackets, upper and lower have failed on my 1972 HA18.  Does anyone know of a source or better yet have a couple for sale? Thanks for any help! Marc
by M. Perry
Wednesday, October 11, 2017
Latest News
Calendar

1/25/2019 » 1/27/2019
2019 CBA 57th Annual Meeting