Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
Painting Hull
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

9/15/2020 at 9:38:49 PM GMT
Painting Hull
My Menger 15 is on a mooring at Arey's Pond.  They suggest  I have bottom sanded and repainted annually. Any thoughts and is it possible to do this myself.  Not sure how to raise the boat from the trailer to get to all areas on the bottom?

9/16/2020 at 3:50:36 PM GMT
A person I know painted his Marshall18 every year while it was on the trailer. He lowered the bunks, put carpet on the trailer's fender to protect the hull, tilted the boat slightly to one side and braced it securely so it wouldn't move. He then painted the "high side" and then tilted the boat the other way to finish the job when the paint had dried. He wasn't big on sanding the old bottom paint. After twenty years, the trailer has it's share of green bottom paint but it worked for him.

I prefer to put my small boats on blocks and boat stands (poppets) to do the sanding and painting. It takes some investment in blocking, poppets, etc. but it gives you more room underneath the boat to do the work without twisting yourself Into a pretzel. Unfortunately, it's something of a process to keep the boat safely supported while you remove the trailer.

If you don't want the hassle or the risk, just have the yard handle it. As I get older, this option is becoming more and more appealing.

9/16/2020 at 9:42:51 PM GMT
Thanks

9/16/2020 at 9:42:54 PM GMT
Thanks

Latest News
Calendar

9/6/2020 » 10/25/2020
Hog Island Beetle Cat Series, West Falmouth, MA - September-October 2020 Sundays

9/22/2020 » 9/29/2020
(Updated) CCBA Delaware Canal Long Cruise to DE City & Hagley Museum