Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
Will be mooring at Mattapoisett B.Y. next season. Anyone else mooring there
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

9/14/2020 at 5:03:01 PM GMT
Will be mooring at Mattapoisett B.Y. next season. Anyone else mooring there

I will be mooring my Herreshoff America at Mattapoisett BY next year.

Are there any members in the association who moor there?

9/16/2020 at 5:02:16 PM GMT
I had my 1910 Charles Crosby, SARA HOPE on a Mattapoisett Boatyard mooring way back in the early/mid 1980's. Mattapoisett is open to the South. and therefore not a great harbor for a Southerly gale. Make certain to have good chaffing gear on your mooring. The usual wind is from the SW and the area over by the Boatyard has pretty rolling sea. This will put a lot of strain on the rudder's pintels & gueguens. A rudder stop is strongly recommended. Make sure to add a safety line to the stick as I've had the rudder stop come off in bad weather. I only experienced this in Mattapoisett harbor. After a few years I moved SARAH HOPE over to Ringette's Leasure Shore Marina (Brant Island Cove) and was much happier. It is a well protected, and Nemansket Bay is a much, much better place to sail from.
Be warned I became so in love with being on a slip with power and water that I can't imagine boating any other way. We often simply went down to the marina and sat on the boat with friends for cocktails at sunset or when the weather was bad. There was a real bathroom to be had by simply walking down the dock. The ease of use is so much more than in the main harbor. It really isn't comparable.
At the boatyard I remember parking being an issue and long lines waiting for the launch on the weekend. Sometimes I waited for a hour for a pick-up. Of course you need to be back during working hours or make other arrangements. I understand that the launch did not run this year because of Covid. Next year?
In 1991 when it became time to sell SARA HOPE I moved her back to the harbor for greater viability. I rented a private mooring deeper in the harbor by the main pier. I had a 10 Boston Whaler Squall with a 4 HP Johnson on the clothesline dingy dock. It was difficult at times to power over large swells to the mooring.
Hurricane Bob came knocking in 91 and I was at the Padanaram Rendezvous. A southerly gale was predicted for the day prior. I went into New Bedford and pulled a Kelly's. At Noon the day after Bob I was back in the water. Mattapoisett was trashed. Nearly every boat not pulled was on the shore and boats were skewered on the few piles left for the clothsline. Boats pulled by Mattapoisett Boatyard were put in the yard and storm surge knocked them over and they pig-piled in the corner of the yard.

9/17/2020 at 4:11:24 AM GMT
Wow,

Thanks. I haven't committed yet, so I've got a bit to think about.

I did moor a sloop at MBY for a couple of years back in the 80s. I guess I was fortunate that I never had any bad experiences at that time.

Latest News
Calendar

9/6/2020 » 10/25/2020
Hog Island Beetle Cat Series, West Falmouth, MA - September-October 2020 Sundays

9/22/2020 » 9/29/2020
(Updated) CCBA Delaware Canal Long Cruise to DE City & Hagley Museum