Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
Towing a Herreshoff America: Remove the Rudder?
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

11/8/2019 at 5:13:34 PM GMT
Towing a Herreshoff America: Remove the Rudder?

I have a 1974 Herreshoff America.  I am planning on towing it for a couple of hundred miles.  Should I remove the rudder while I am towing it?  How much does the rudder weight.

Thanks!

Doug MacPherson

916-616-6073

11/9/2019 at 1:40:18 PM GMT
I have a Marshall 18, and have done it both ways, but in retrospect would remove the rudder for long distance transport. Concerns: potential for being rear-ended, jumping out of the gudgeons (may be minimised with a foam block in top of tiller slot), shock load damaging or pulling the upper pintal/gudgeon. The unsupported shock load could be severe . In water the rudder is supported and the motion is less. According to my bathroom scale, the dry weight of my rudder with bronze step is 50 pounds.

11/9/2019 at 9:31:52 PM GMT
I have an HA18 and I always remove my rudder and stow it in the bed of my pickup when I tow it back and forth from the marina. I do that for the same reasons mentioned in Peter Knowlton's reply. I think my rudder may weigh a bit more than 50 pounds. I can lift it off of the boat and put it into the bed of the truck myself, but I would prefer to have some help. Oh and I always end up with some bottom paint transfer so a blue tarp in the pick up bed helps with that and makes it easier for me to slide it into place.

Marc Perry
Mount Hope Bay
Fall River, MA

Latest News
Calendar