Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
18'Marshall Catboat Port holes
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

11/7/2019 at 11:08:11 PM GMT
18'Marshall Catboat Port holes

I purchased a 1975 18' Marshall Sanderling this summer which is in tough shape to say the least. I have replaced the cockpit deck and stern area.

I am currently in the process of replacing the port holes on the cabin, the old ones are cracked and need to be replaced.  I am trying to find a port hole that can be opened to replace the old ones.  So far, I can only find rectangle ones because the elliptical ones that are available are over 8" in height and will be too big.  The area around the old portholes is brittle and it appears that they were replaced once before. It is going to require a lot of caulking to make the current portholes tight.  I want the portholes to be solid and not have to worry about leaks while I am sailing. Any ideas or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Pat Carney

11/9/2019 at 1:31:16 PM GMT
I have a 1969 Sanderling, and although crazed some the port lights are tight and not leaking. I have the forward opening porthole , and a cabin top stainless vent, with the louvered doors this provides adequate ventilation. I'd recommend staying with the fixed port lights . If concerned about future crazing, you could look at having a local glass company make laminated safety glass replacements, check on amount of curvature.

Latest News
Calendar