Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
Converting a catboat to electric power
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

5/31/2019 at 2:29:55 AM GMT
Converting a catboat to electric power

I have an 18 wooden catboat with a 10 hp inboard gas engine.  I would like to convert it to an inboard electric motor using existing shaft and propeller. 

I have no idea where to look for such a motor, what it might cost, What the batteries might cost, or even if such a thing is feasible.

I built the boat  and installed the existing engine myself, so I am reasonably handy.

Any guidance, suggestions, experiences, sources, estimates of cost,  etc, would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Ken

Attached Images:

5/31/2019 at 6:47:38 PM GMT
Ken,
I did a bit of research, suggestions follow:
1) Join this (active) group - there are experienced pros & boaters who are willing to provide practical advice - https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/electricboats/info
2) This company, for price & product, appears to be held in high regard - https://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/sevcon-brushless-sailboat-kit-8.5kw.html
Keep us posted on progress!
Regards,
Doug

5/31/2019 at 7:07:59 PM GMT
Thanks for the info Doug. Will check them out. Early internet searches indicate the switch may be a little too rich for my blood. Will advise. Ken

5/31/2019 at 8:58:24 PM GMT
Have you considered building the system yourself?  I put together a 36v DC golf cart motor, controls, motor mount with 2:1 speed reduction and 225Ah batteries a few years ago to repower a 14ft motor launch.  The cost was $3k and it's been very successful.  I can provide more details if you're interested.

6/3/2019 at 4:15:12 PM GMT
Thanks Doug. At the age of 75, I'm not sure my brain is still up to the challenge. Me and my little Tecumseh will just have to go the distance together...

6/19/2019 at 1:02:49 AM GMT
Turns out my little Tecumseh HAS gone the distance and I have taken it out of the boat. I plan to sell the boat and am looking for info the help the potential buyers to assess the cost/difficulty of repowering with an outboard or electric setup. Essentially something to get in and out of a boat landing. We are mostly lake sailors here with fairly short cruises and used to dealing with crowded landings and lots of impatient powerboats.
Thanks, Ken

Latest News
Calendar