Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
Replacing scupper in M-22 cockpit
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

5/30/2019 at 1:21:25 AM GMT
Replacing scupper in M-22 cockpit

Hi sailors

I had a leaking drain (scupper) in my cockpit that was contributing to water in the forward bilges under the cabin.  Turned out that the PO had caulked/poly adhesived the backing plate to the underside of the cockpit along with the scupper.  The backing plate had cracked and the whole thing was flexing the leaking.  The photos below show the replacement in case anyone else needs to work on this or has this problem.

IMG_1876.jpgIMG_1877.jpgIMG_1878.jpgIMG_1879.jpgIMG_1880.jpg

First photo shows the backing plate covered with caulk, second after removing the caulk (or probably the other side).  Third is new backing plate with hole for scupper after epoxy coating the oak piece.  Should have epoxied after the hole was in, doh!  The coated with two coats of Petit epoxy paint (including the hole).  And finally installed in the boat with Total Boat thickened epoxy to hold it in and Boat life caulk on the scupper, ready to insert and hook up the hose to the drain.

Attached Images:

11/1/2019 at 6:31:38 PM GMT
Hey wanted to say thanks for this post- my boat was the first one with the fiberglass cockpit, so it still has the old style drains (which are terrible with the new cockpit floor). I am retrofitting the newer style drains, your pictures are a big help.

So thanks!

Last edited Friday, November 1, 2019
Latest News
Calendar

8/28/2020 » 8/29/2020
Spray Beach Yacht Club 1st Annual Rendezvous