Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
New Member seeking Advise
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

4/20/2019 at 4:50:09 PM GMT
New Member seeking Advise
Hello, I just became a new member of both the Catboat Association and the Chesapeake Catboat Assoc. I'm newly retired with only some experince in sailboats. I'm looking for a boat for the Chesapeake and some coastal cruising and need advise on what to buy. The Menger 23 and Marshall 22 look great but I'm questioning whether a boat this size will be more difficult to master than say an 18 ft boat. Any advise will be much appreciated. Thanks , Jim Haldeman

4/21/2019 at 3:06:15 PM GMT
Welcome aboard, from Massachusetts' North Shore. What a gtear resource you have in the CCBA !
I'M well retired, and sail a Marshall 18 mostly single handed. About 80 to 90 percent is local day sails, with a couple long weekend cruises, and maybe a week to 10 day cruise every couple years. Easy boat to handle, and with a folding mast and trailer, I can haul and store in my yard. For cruising, it's definitely in the backpacking/car camping relm .
Sail with friends on Marshall 22s , more stable, more work, and generally commercial yard storage. Better cruising, more like a small travel trailer or conversion van. For day sailing your lugging all that equipment around with you.
Nice thing about Menger, particularly cruising , is standing headroom, and good performance. The Marshall 22 is a classic Cape Cod catboat, and sails well. One of its strong points is it's in production, and has a great owner and builder support system.
Reach out as much as you can to CCBA, lots of experience with 17 to 25 foot cats in their long cruises, etc.

4/22/2019 at 3:50:16 AM GMT
Hey Jim

I’d really ask yourself what you need in terms of accommodation first. A retired acquaintance at my boat yard sails an Arrey’s Pond 18, and I have friends with a marshal 18. Great day sailors, easier to manage than a marshal 22 or menger (everything is lighter, simple outboard engine, no plumbing.

I have a Marshal 22 and I love it. I have small kids who like to overnight or spend the day at an island, so running water, a reliable diesel, a stove, bunks and electric head are all very important to me. The huge cockpit where 5 of my friends can relax with cocktails is amazing. My sloop friends are constantly amazed when we tack and no one touches a winch or spills a drink. Ahhhhh they all say as enlightenment shines in their eyes...

Consider a Menger if you need a shower and want to stand up below decks. I find that for me, the increased weight and smaller sail area of the menger vs the 22 were not worth the shower.

The step up to the larger cats is a greater commitment in terms of maintenance, things are bigger and heavier, but a catboat is wonderful to sail and easy to single hand. Really it’s question of equipment and space that you want.

I happen to believe if you are doing coastal sailing (nothing far offshore), that a catboat is one of the smartest boats you can get. Easy to single hand, easy with friends, sturdy and straightforward. That’s only my opinion however.

Good luck on your hunt.

Matt

4/29/2019 at 1:07:33 AM GMT
Peter and Matt,
Thanks much to both of you for your thoughtful responses. I was surprised at the interior size difference between the Menger 23...huge, and the Marshall 22. I had the impression that they would be similar. There is also a big difference in hull design. I really liked the Menger but still discerning size vs simplicity. Thanks much for the advise Pretty sure I'll have fun with whatever I settle on. Jim

Last edited Sunday, April 28, 2019
5/16/2019 at 1:38:54 PM GMT
Don't discount the Horizon 20, which comes with a nicely appointed cabin for short cruises and also as a daysailer. More affordable, very good boat, company still in business, centerboard, pull up rudder, inboard, and wheel steering. If you like that combination take a peek. It's a different approach to the catboat, some would say more modern.

Latest News
Calendar

5/25/2019 » 5/27/2019
West River Heritage Regatta & Catboat Rendezvous

6/8/2019 » 6/9/2019
Prospect Bay Race 2019