Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
Brass care/polish
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

2/28/2019 at 4:11:12 PM GMT
Brass care/polish

Dear all,

on my wooden cabin of my catboat I have a lot of brass parts, including the port holes. Of course it is fun to polish them like once a year or so, but not necessarily more often.I have tried various diffent brass polishes and also "Neverdull" - a cotton soaked with polishing, but what I always found out: They clean and polish well, but the polished surfaces don't at all last as long as the original brass have lasted when they were coming fresh from the supplier. I guess that the polishing agents do contain a kind of acid to remove the dirt layers but they also seem to attack also the metal that the metal gets more sensitive to oxidizing then they were before cleaning. I am not looking out for a transparent laquer but I would be curious if you made the same experience and what are you using to keep brass shiny for longer than 4 weeks? Would appreciate any comment on this topic !

Peter

4/9/2019 at 12:40:21 PM GMT
The "brass' you refer to is most likely bronze. Over time bronze develops a patina, some find it the charm of that type of hardware generally found on traditionally rigged boats.
You can polish it, some say you can even apply a "varnish but I have to ask. Why create more maintenance?

Latest News
Calendar