Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
How does one figure out a fair offer on a older wooden Catboat?
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

1/30/2019 at 11:02:03 PM GMT
How does one figure out a fair offer on a older wooden Catboat?

Hi Again,

During the past few years there has been a few big project cats that I have looked at. They all have been wooden construction and ranged from 17 to 25 feet long. I have been for the past few months talking with the current owner of a 20' cat and don't really know how to proceed from where we are at now.

The boat has been on the hard for the past 3-5 years & covered up during that time, I think she was winterized back then and she has been well maintained over the years. I have seen a copy of the last survey that was done in 2012 and overall think she should be sea worthy without much work other than re-caulking and fresh paint. Both the owner and the yard where she was kept at have recommended that she be re-powered for the type of cruising I'm thinking of doing.

I don't want to mention her current or past names right now as I think I would be incurring competition for her new ownership.

But let's say that from the 2012 survey she had a retail value of around $9000 and a replacement value of $50,000. How do I go about figuring out a fair price to offer without insulting the current owners?

Thanks in advance for any & all input.

Charles H

Latest News
Calendar

4/24/2019 » 4/26/2019
The Beaufort Yacht and Sailing Club Classic Boat Rally

4/27/2019 » 4/28/2019
Lowcountry Catboat Gathering