Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
Herreshoff America Blocks and Boom Crutch and Bracket
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

6/13/2018 at 8:59:03 PM GMT
Herreshoff America Blocks and Boom Crutch and Bracket

Hi folks,  I'm having Bristol Bronze make me up a block with traveler link and becket to replace the one pictured below that failed.  I found Roger Winiarski at Bristol Bronze thanks to those of you who posted about him.  I'll post a picture of the replacement when I have it installed.  Roger is a real storyteller and if you have a chance to meet him or contact him on the phone be sure to set aside a few extra minutes to listen.

I'm also looking for both of the brackets for an HA18 Boom Crutch and the crutch, thanks in advance for any help.

Marc

Marc Perry
Mount Hope Bay
Fall River, MA

Attached Images:

6/17/2018 at 5:22:38 AM GMT
Im curious from the picture you posted what failed on the block. It almost looks like the center shaft may have failed. I have replaced those before. Is the block totally shot or is it the center shaft pin that's just gone?

Also, I am restoring my HA and had my boom crutch brackets in need of repair. I was able to salvage the top one and refinish it (looks great) but I had to remake the bottom one. I do a lot of woodworking so if you need one, let me know and maybe sometime in the future I can help.

6/18/2018 at 5:10:49 PM GMT
Hi Matt,

The pieces were there but the shaft had failed. I was going to try to repair the block but when I went out for my shakedown cruise the reel popped out on my first hard jibe...So I am now waiting for the new one to be out together.

I have the bottom bracket but it is in two pieces. I gave a friend the two pieces of my top bracket a while ago, but he hasn't been able to get to it yet. Thanks so much for the offer of help. I'm not very handy, and often have to rely on the "kindness of strangers..." ;-), yes I'm quoting Scarlet O'Hara. Pixie is in her slip and I'm sailing her so that will take precedence over non essential repairs for the time being. Thanks again!
Marc

Marc Perry
Mount Hope Bay
Fall River, MA

8/13/2018 at 7:47:52 PM GMT
I have some of those same blocks form my HA-18. My block pin sheared clean off. Tired fo fighting friction and went to Harken blocks. I can sell you one of the bronze blocks if you desire. Let me know.

8/15/2018 at 11:25:12 AM GMT
Thanks David, but I went with other blocks myself, actually found a complete solution in the used parts section of my local marine store. I was out of there with a complete new set of blocks for my main sheet for about $22.00. I ran like a thief...;-)

Marc Perry
Mount Hope Bay
Fall River, MA

Latest News
Calendar

9/8/2019 » 10/27/2019
Hog Island Beetle Cat Series, West Falmouth, MA - September-October 2018 Sundays

10/19/2019 » 10/20/2019
Wye Wild Goose Chase Weekend - Eastern Shore, MD