Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
Reefing Upgrade Concerns
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

4/12/2018 at 6:07:17 PM GMT
Reefing Upgrade Concerns

This year boat projects includes an upgrade to upgrade the reefing system for my Cape Cod Cat 17. I am planning to base a single line system on one seen in a catboat association bulletin.

The system will terminate at the aft end of the cabin house in cam cleats, after exiting spring mounted blocks on the cabin top near the base of the mast.

The thing that concerns me is that with no boom vang the boom usually rides up while easing the main sheet to sail off the wind. While this would then seem to be typical with cat boats in photos I've seen, it must surely must put tension on the reefing lines the way I plan to run them in the process.

I'm conceiving that a vang kept tight will be necessary to deal with this, but would like to hear members thoughts/experiences on the matter.

Thanks

Captn SW

Cat boat Edna Pearl

Last edited Thursday, April 12, 2018
4/21/2018 at 12:24:01 PM GMT
A couple of us with M-18s on the North Shore are using single line reefing very successfully. We both use stand-up blocks on deck, just behind the mast, and under to gooseneck fitting. The diagrams in the CBA Bulletin generally show turning blocks on a rope bridle around the mast, agian below the gooseneck. This setup puts the turning block at the boom fulcrum , and therefore very little change on tension when boom run out or lifted. I'm somewhat concerned with plan to put turning (spring loaded) blocks on the cabin top. 1) there may be some vanging pressure, which isn't good, 2) when letting the boom run, you will also tend to tension the reef line, 3) the cabin top may not be as strong as the foredeck or mast bridle system.
A few functional points, from a years experience. Use some strap eyes along the boom to guide the reef line, and keep it up away from hats and heads. Use small bullet blocks lashed to the clew and tack grommets , to much friction if run reef line through grommets. Mark the reef line and halyards with permanent marker or twine. Use the topping lift when reefing, and luff - very hard to get clew tight with any load on boom end. I usually keep the throat halyard up 3-4 inches when reefing to prevent two-blocking and jamming the reef line between the ckeek block on the boom and the bullet block on the sail, adjust last.
Be a little careful, with reef line in front of you in cockpit, you can really put you back into it and generate a lot of load.
Overall, single line system works great. Still, you need to use it when you first it's time reef.

4/26/2018 at 9:00:20 PM GMT
Lots of good points from an experienced catboat sailor is just what I was looking for. Will certainly consider these factors in my installation. I'm particularly concerned about the Vang effect, and cabin top loading you mention. If you have any photo of you're installation, I would appreciate seeing them.
Thanks
Eric

Latest News
Calendar

9/8/2019 » 10/27/2019
Hog Island Beetle Cat Series, West Falmouth, MA - September-October 2018 Sundays

10/19/2019 » 10/20/2019
Wye Wild Goose Chase Weekend - Eastern Shore, MD