Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
Tabernacle Issues on Sanderling
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

11/2/2017 at 9:37:00 PM GMT
Tabernacle Issues on Sanderling

My new (to me) 1986 Sanderling has a tabernacle on the mast. Before launching the first time I applied marine grease to the tabernacle post (same as I had done on my tabernacle on my Sandpiper). When I launched the Sanderling the mast seemed to not want to slide down into the tabernacle socket.  After a little shaking it finally dropped down, and all was good.  Until I tried to drop the mast this fall.  It took quite a bit of persuasion, and the strength of a strong helper to get the tabernacle to free up.  It started coming out of the deck before it finally cooperated, which required the helper and yours truly to get it to budge.  It was really stuck.

I bought the boat with the intention of trailering it (and the tabernacle was a must).  That now seems impossible.  Either I'm not strong enough, or this tabernacle has problems.

I'm thinking over the winter I'll build a fulcrum device that will help get the tabernacle loosened up. Thoughts are two 2x4's with a rod through them, and a third 2 x 4 on the rod to wedge into the tabernacle hole, Lift on the 3rd 2 x 4 should get the tabernacle loosened up.   I'm a little concerned with applying too much pressure on the deck (where the fulcrum would stand). Any suggestions/ideas would be most appreciated.

Beau Schless
Bschless@rascox.com

11/12/2017 at 12:42:04 AM GMT
I trailer my Sanderling a great deal so keeping the tabernacle fully operational is a must. I never use grease, rather I keep it very clean and use only a dry lube like sailcote. Every time I drop the mast, I flush it with fresh water, allow it to dry overnight then coat it with sailcote. I also suggest you fabricate a mast strap using a pad eye just aft of the mast step and an eye strap on the mast below the deck. I used an old turnbuckle and tightened it enough to keep the mast from moving when i pull the mast up to free the hinge. There are pictures in on older issue of CBA magazine.

11/28/2017 at 6:56:33 PM GMT
Comments from Geoff Marshall:
"While the marine grease works well initially, we find that it gets sticky over time. I would recommend wiping off as much of the grease as you can get to, then spraying it with WDS-40 or CRC to break down any of the residue. At this point it is a good idea to go up and down with the mast a few times to make sure it is operating properly,. We recommend a Teflon spray such as McLube or SailKote as a lubricant for the hinges. It goes on dry so it wont attract an grit or get sticky.

You can certainly fashion some type of fulcrum to lift the mast if it is putting up a fight. Just make sure the mast wedges are knocked in securely ad that you have someone behind the mast to control the drop. The foredeck is strong enough to take the pressure."

Beau Schless
Bschless@rascox.com

9/30/2019 at 12:42:21 AM GMT

I had success with a very stuck hinge following the advice above, hammering in the wedges and having a friend sit on the boom to keep the mast from lifting in addition to this very simple lever (two boards really) and some string serve as an extra set of hands and keeping parts from falling overboard.  I hope this picture attaches!

Dave Holbrook

davidaholbrook16@gmail.com

Latest News
Calendar

9/8/2019 » 10/27/2019
Hog Island Beetle Cat Series, West Falmouth, MA - September-October 2018 Sundays

10/19/2019 » 10/20/2019
Wye Wild Goose Chase Weekend - Eastern Shore, MD