Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
Hello and advice
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

8/9/2017 at 5:41:22 PM GMT
Hello and advice

Hello all,

I am looking for guidance in purchasing a boat. I think a Catboat is the way to go but not sure the configuration I'd like is doable, exactly. I'm looking for a trailerable boat which will be stored on land in Nantucket and may be moored part of the Summer on Nantucket as well. I do not envision overnighters, mostly lurking around the island and the shoals, occasional trips to Muskeget and Tuckernuck, maybe the Vineyard or Cape in perfect conditions. I would be very appreciate of any guidance this forum can provide.

Requisites

1. Room for at least 4

2. Can be basically a day sailer but would like to have a small berth with some kind of porta-potty

3. Easy mast and general set-up off the trailer

4. Preferably with a rudder and keel allowing for me to beach the boat easily

Here's the tricky part:

5. Needs power, prefer an inboard engine

6. Prefer pedestal wheel steering, but haven't come across a boat where the helmsman can sit behind the wheel, rather than off to the side. Boat will get a lot of use motoring and I prefer to be behind the wheel for this reason and others

Anyone have any advice? Am I off the mark with a Catboat being ideal for this, or about getting my desired configuration in a boat of this size? Any alternate suggestions on types of boat would be most welcome as well.

Thanks,

Joe

8/13/2017 at 10:43:52 AM GMT
Looks like a question for the designers sketchbook in WoodenBoat magazine.
Sketchbook@woodenboat.com.
Work with seemingly incompatible parameters .

8/21/2017 at 1:48:24 PM GMT
That's the perfect list of requirements for a Marshall Sanderling (18 ft) or Menger 19. Both of these beautiful Catboats are/were built with inboard diesel engines and can be outfitted with pedestal wheel steering. Our Menger 19 is super spacious for 4 in the cockpit. love it!

8/22/2017 at 3:55:46 PM GMT
Thanks for the replies. Yes, the Sanderling is a beautiful boat. I have not looked into the Menger 19 but will do so. Much appreciate people's input.

8/28/2017 at 12:49:17 AM GMT
Just a quick followup question: I see some Sanderlings that have wheel steering but I do not see that as an available option. Are people retrofitting these boats with pedestal steering?

Latest News
Calendar

9/8/2019 » 10/27/2019
Hog Island Beetle Cat Series, West Falmouth, MA - September-October 2018 Sundays

9/15/2019 » 9/21/2019
CCBA Mid-Western Shore River Long Cruise - Eastern Shore, MD