Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
Does anyone have info on a Com-pac Horizon?
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
Page 1 of 1
Thread Actions

7/20/2016 at 12:20:12 PM GMT
Does anyone have info on a Com-pac Horizon?

Still in the market for an upgrade to my Sandpiper, and I came across a 10 year old Com-pac Horizon up in Maine.  It's a 20' long trailerable catboat with lots of features..tabernacle mast, Yanmar diesel, wheel, bimini, and a nice layout down below.   The hull appears to have a nice shape...reasonable freeboard, and at 20' and a little over 8' beam should be sea kindly and relatively fast...But I'm having trouble getting much information on the boat.  Does anyone know anything about the boat's seaworthiness?  The company? Any comments?

Beau Schless
Bschless@rascox.com

2/27/2017 at 9:27:08 PM GMT
Compac Yachts acquired the tooling for the Herreshoff America, and messed with it to produce the Horizon. I am a huge fan of Halsey Herreshoff's design and though I have no experience with the Horizon, I just wonder why they messed with such a great plastic classic.

2/28/2017 at 2:57:22 AM GMT
Don't have experience with the Horizon, but I did own the sun cat with the cabin. Bought it new... was not impressed with the build quality (ports constantly leaked, gel coat was thin, GRP delaminated in the bilge area. Com Pac was horrible to deal with. They told me to remove ports and grind down bushings on a brand new boat because they refused to send out a serviceman. Sad, because Com Pac built a reputation for building solid little boats over the years.

6/15/2017 at 12:06:55 PM GMT
Fer what it's worth...I ended up with a Sanderling. Here's why:

Boat Hull LWL Beam Sail Area Sail Area/Disp Disp/Length
Sanderlng. 17.0 8.5 253 23.99 199.91
Mystic 20 18.5 8.0 258 23,75 162.17
Compac Horizon 17.75 8.33 205 17.85 199.
Menger 19 18.5 8.0 270 21.3 204.47
HA 17.75 8.0 260 22.64 199.57

If you want a very stable boat, the Compac should fit the order (very low SA/Disp ratio). The fastest, all things being equal, would be the Sanderling.

Beau Schless
Bschless@rascox.com

Last edited Sunday, July 9, 2017
8/29/2017 at 9:04:20 PM GMT
Quote:
Originally posted by M. Deery:
Don't have experience with the Horizon, but I did own the sun cat with the cabin. Bought it new... was not impressed with the build quality (ports constantly leaked, gel coat was thin, GRP delaminated in the bilge area. Com Pac was horrible to deal with. They told me to remove ports and grind down bushings on a brand new boat because they refused to send out a serviceman. Sad, because Com Pac built a reputation for building solid little boats over the years.

Odd, every time I dealt with them they were very helpful, as has been the experience of everyone I know that has dealt with them. Further, I couldn't disagree more about the build quality. The boats are a lot lighter than conventional '80s-'90s catboats but pretty darn stout.  Something is strange here.

8/29/2017 at 9:04:57 PM GMT
For reference - I had a 2013 SunCat and it was a great boat - no complaints. None.

8/30/2017 at 11:31:11 PM GMT
The daysailer version of this boat is on my short list. At the end of the day for me it's between this boat and a used M22. I've heard only positive things and my initial interaction with Rich has been very positive. All things consided I love the boat but it's hard not to go with a used 22 for half or more of the price of a new Horizon, especially when you live in New England and can have the luxury of the builder being close by and able to service the boat.

4/13/2019 at 1:55:12 PM GMT
Com-pacs on moorings?

Does anyone have any experience with a Com-Pac Horizon or Sun Cat kept on a tidal mooring subject to wave action? Concerned not so much about the ability of the hull to sit in mud, but for mud to get compressed into the centerboard trunk since it's not a full fin keel. Also wonder about the durability of the mast rigging while on the mooring when seas pick up as they can do in New England anchorages!

Last edited Saturday, April 13, 2019
Latest News
Calendar

9/8/2019 » 10/27/2019
Hog Island Beetle Cat Series, West Falmouth, MA - September-October 2018 Sundays

9/15/2019 » 9/21/2019
CCBA Mid-Western Shore River Long Cruise - Eastern Shore, MD