Join/Register   |   Print Page   |   Contact Us   |   Report Abuse   |   Sign In
Community Search
Soft deck in cockpit
Moderator(s):
Thread Score:
|<
<
1 |
| 3 | 4
>
>|
Thread Actions

1/15/2019 at 1:17:14 PM GMT
Thanks J. Billings! I will email you shortly.

Joe

1/16/2019 at 9:42:56 PM GMT
To add to J. Seymour's post above, the Good Old Boat magazine which has the Sanderling cockpit repair is #41 from March/April 2005. It is not available online but you can buy a copy for $8 from goodoldboat.com.

3/12/2019 at 11:20:28 AM GMT
Paul Calder, Nigel Calders Son, has a great article with photos on cockpit floor replacement. Easy to find with Google. I’m doing that now but using honeycomb sheet and polyester resin.
Whitney Roberts

4/3/2019 at 6:46:45 PM GMT

Same boat... I cut out softened cockpit sole area in shape of a parallelogram. I removed sodden 50 year-old "styrofoam"; glassed in additional structural support and base for two future 12v batteries; screwed and glassed structure to receive new plywood sole around perimeter of parallelogram, cutting out two differently sized holes which will receive sole future hatches.  April 2019...Prepping 12v wiring to ensure easy access before I glass down plywood.  Wish me luck!

rebuild pics (yes...click this google photos link to view more pics)

Attached Images:

4/3/2019 at 6:46:57 PM GMT

Same boat... I cut out softened cockpit sole area in shape of a parallelogram. I removed sodden 50 year-old "styrofoam"; glassed in additional structural support and base for two future 12v batteries; screwed and glassed structure to receive new plywood sole around perimeter of parallelogram, cutting out two differently sized holes which will receive sole future hatches.  April 2019...Prepping 12v wiring to ensure easy access before I glass down plywood.  Wish me luck!

rebuild pics (yes...click this google photos link to view more pics)

Attached Images:

4/5/2019 at 1:18:19 AM GMT
Best of luck! Our boats look like twin sisters.

4/5/2019 at 1:18:21 AM GMT
Best of luck! Our boats look like twin sisters.

4/15/2019 at 6:54:28 PM GMT

I thought I'd share some of my progress for others to reference.  I got the benches out two weeks ago and this past weekend I removed the sole. 

I had intended to just cut out the visible rot and leave the rest but the more I looked the more delaminated fiberglass I found.  I decided to cut around the perimeter of the sole with an oscillator tool and then peel off all of the fiberglass using a flat prybar.  I'm glad I did that because I found more rot in the sole hidden beneath the plywood.  Luckily, all of the stainless steel screws fixing the sole to the stringers were visible and in good shape so all I had to do to pull the sole was take them out. 

Unsurprisingly, the stringers are also waterlogged and at least one of them needs to be patched or replaced.  My next step is to remove all of the insulation/bouyancy to let things dry out.  If I'm lucky then most of the stringers can be repaired with epoxy rather than replaced completely.  We'll see once things are dry. 

Interestingly, the insulation I found under the sole was loose foam beads.  In my research preparing for this project I've seen rigid foam similar to A. Logger's boat and also something that looks like fiberglass.  I suppose Marshall probably tried a few things over the years.  I'd be curious to hear what they are using today...

Attached Images:

4/28/2019 at 5:36:35 PM GMT

I've got an update regarding the foam under the cockpit sole in my Sanderling.  I reached out to Geoff Marshall and he said that they no longer install that foam for buoyancy.  They find that the air pocket is enough to keep the boat afloat for some time.  He recommend that I remove the foam from mine to allow for the stringers to dry out and not put anything back in its place.

I've attached some photos showing what I found after removing the foam.  You can see that the portion of the stringers that were buried in the foam have remained wet.

Also, there is a channel at the bottom of the boat which has no way to drain or be pumped out.  It was completely full of water which had seeped through cracks in the cockpit sole.  I'm considering filling it with something non-porous like a resin or modified epoxy.

Attached Images:

Last edited Tuesday, April 30, 2019
4/29/2019 at 6:16:24 PM GMT
T. Moorhoff,

Thanks for the information. I was down at the yard yesterday wondering what sort of flotation I should get, but also wondered if it is really necessary.

I second peeling up all of the fiberglass on the sole. As I did this yesterday, I saw that the plywood of the sole was wet, despite being under shrink wrap all winter. So I really need to see what the extent of the rot is before I purchase new wood.

Most of the starboard cabin bulkhead is rotted. It looks like it is just a half inch of plywood, sandwiched between a quarter inch wainscot panel-- l think I will just have to rip that out, cut a new bulkhead, slather with a couple of coats of epoxy, and clamp it to the fiberglass outer skin.

The bulkhead stringer below it is pretty bad-- I think that the rot was exacerbated when a previous owner put lockers in the void around the centerboard.

I want to keep the lockers, but not if it leads to the same problem.

Latest News
Calendar

9/8/2019 » 10/27/2019
Hog Island Beetle Cat Series, West Falmouth, MA - September-October 2018 Sundays

10/19/2019 » 10/20/2019
Wye Wild Goose Chase Weekend - Eastern Shore, MD